1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are custom-lore maps unpopular?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marshmalo, May 12, 2018.

1. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

I have noticed the most widely played maps on the WC3 multiplayer scene tend to be ones based within WC3 lore or based on another major sci fi or fantasy world, like LOTR or Star Wars.

And when I look at my own maps, the ones which are played the most seem to be those based on Warcraft lore, other maps which I have spent a lot of time on like Planetary Domination, ROTV, ZR, don’t seem to played very much at all. Whereas, Siege of Quel'thalas, still seems to get regular plays despite not being updated in years, and in my opinion, not a particularly outstanding map.

I'm not complaining, as it’s fun to create maps anyway, and LTA/LTF far exceeded my expectations, but every map maker likes to have their maps played and see other people enjoying them.

The popularity of a map doesn’t seem to correlate to its quality, and I'm not just talking about my maps, I've seen many high-quality maps created by this community and others, that are based on custom lore, that appear to have disappeared into the nether. This is sad as it dampens creativity and discourages map makers from being imaginitive and thinking up their own fantasy worlds with custom lore settings.

So, this may be something for future map makers to consider if they want their map to well played, from my point of view I will be concentrating on maps based within the WC3 lore and other established fantasy cannons when considering future projects in order to maximise their appeal to the WC3 playerbase.
    • Like Like x 1
    • This This x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. EmperorFawful

EmperorFawful Burn it! Website Admin

Agreed.
    upload_2018-5-12_17-13-44.png
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Yousef

Yousef Paladin of the Alliance Brigand Map Maker

What is that?

OT: I agree, personally I don't like to play maps that aren't based on WC lore, it feels weird and out of place.
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

Is the CoV?

Thats also what I had in mind when I made this post, great map, fairly well balanced and with interetsing custom lore but I rarely see it played.

I guess its because people dont have the "connection" with the charcters in a custom lore map, it seems to be important to people, I mean you wouldnt have all this controversy over whether Lunara should be in Azz Wars if it was a custom map, or the time I suggested we replace Aegwin with Kadgar in LTF :-)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Draupne

Draupne Won't get any more fun than what you make yourself Brigand Map Maker

Your analysis is most likely correct Marsh.
    Most often, the map can be of excellent quality, but if the map is not based upon established and familiar lore people won't stick around for long. We have seen this many times, with maps like Corruption of Veseon, Warbands of Artania, your non-WC maps, etc.
    Examples of maps that do stick around are WC3 grand strategy, Game of Thrones maps, etc. Stuff people know about. Most people didnt care for jack shit to invest their imagination into playing a map with a story they know nothing about.

This is why I did my risky move of using the Elder Scrolls as a base for my upcoming map. It was originally intended to be a remaster of Warbands of Artania, but I figured I would have better chance creating a popular Tower Defense than a popular custom lore map.

The only maps who ever succeeded as custom lore maps were the King Leopold maps.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. EmperorFawful

EmperorFawful Burn it! Website Admin

As I said in another thread: I currently have a project - sort of an outlandish one so to say.

Or in short: I agree that maps, which are Warcraft-lore based are apparently more appealing to other communities.
    Guess it's because we all kinda love Warcraft, but when looking at my own custom projects, I realize that most of the times when editing I become quite uncreative. Thus, working with reference material is always easier for me at least.
  7. Draupne

Draupne Won't get any more fun than what you make yourself Brigand Map Maker

(Doublepost)
    It's not like we map editors are entitled to decide what the playerbase enjoys, so in order to have our maps getting playthroughs we kind of have to follow the mainstream. If the market doesn't buy your idea, the idea will fade away and your hard work will be for nothing.
    Nonetheless, I believe well planned marketing and map release can pull up the player counts. You just have to be much more proactive about marketing your map.

People who never played Elder Scrolls games like Oblivion or Skyrim will probably not be arsed to try my new map on their own initiative without me creating hype about it. That's just how lazy people are (I'm not blaming them).
    It's exactly the same with me. I never ever played anything Warhammer related, so convincing me to play a Warhammer map would be pretty tough without some good marketing.
    • Like Like x 1
    • This This x 1
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  8. SUNSTRIDER

SUNSTRIDER

Mystery solved (you can see in the screenshot it's Terrokar Forest area (if you pay attention :p)). :D
    And on topic, yep. It's natural for humans to prefer something they are familiar with and what they already think is good.
    Also it depends on how different the custom-lore map is compared to Warcraft 3, if it's wayyy too different then Warcraft, fans might not like it being so alien. :p BUT if it's not different enough then "It's copying".
    The only obstacle (if you got a good custom story of course) is getting people to give it a chance. Going for Warcraft topics is a lot more of a sure thing since you know that if someone plays Warcraft 3 then he must already like the lore and everything about it, at least up until the grand finally of The Frozen Throne.
    • Like Like x 1
    • This This x 1
  9. Excalibur

Excalibur

Yes.
    I like PD very much.
    It's a pity it doesn't update,I have been looking forward to its reconstitution.
    I hope it can be remade into a map like ROTV.
  10. Zerwikaptur

Zerwikaptur Brigand Donator

Immerions is pretty important factor when it comes to map enjoyment (atleast in my opinion, and I feel lot of people underestimate it), and it's much easier to immerse in well known and established universe. Obviously, maps with custom lore will have hard time with achieving such immersion levels, especially since they use resources provided by Warcraft III which only adds to the "odd" feeling around them.
    • This This x 2