1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AWLR

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Enclop, Feb 4, 2018.

1. ZeroFlotsie

ZeroFlotsie Lord of Hate Shaman Legendary Donator

Egypt a 3rd world country? Maybe in some parts. But not the majority
  2. Nalesean

Nalesean Communism has never been tried Brigand Donator Legend

Dude the game is 15 years old, I played it as a 10-year old on a computer that required 15 minutes to start up, I didn´t even have a connection that let me go online when it first came out. During that time the gaming industry was nothing but a "cute little brother" compared to the massively larger movie industry. Thats changed now, and its a compeltely different business, and lets face it wc3 could never compete with the games that were to come in lots of different genres.
    The fact that there still is a scene around wa rcraft 3, (30-40 thousand people still playing at pretty much any given time) is absolutetly crazy, and only due to the freedom of the map editor and a some reaally dedicated players.

Not even sure we want a wc4. The game lacks all the features of the modern industry, (ingame purchases etc etc), to make a profitable upgrade those would certainly be implemented and I dont think it would benefit from it.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

haha I remember it on mine as well with my fat monitor. I couldn't go online either at my house cause I would block the telephone and dial up cards were too expensive and slow anyways. On the other hand playing on PC cafe's tho felt amazing. Most didn't have good Net either so just had to play on Lan with friends and cousins, it was sick.

Yea I regret saying the marketing of WC3 sucks, I reckon they did the best that was possible and nobody could have any idea how the industry would turn out.

I just wished they could have and added some financial support through in-game purchases to keep the game going while having some partnership with mod makers so Blitz and the mod makers would benefit from the countless and amazing mods of WC3 and could continue making them better. The game would be a bit more alive and optimized now that way.

However yes I agree with you on uncertainty about WC4. I don't think they will have trouble with finances of it, Blitz has gotten a lot better and I'm hopeful they can come up with a creative system for in-game purchases and partnership with mod makers.

I just tho think the Players in the gaming industry have changed. Back then the game community wasn't really that diverse. Mostly males in young age 10-30 while a huge portion of the consumers who would play the game would like to go full on it and master it.

Now Casual games are far more attractive and they approach a much larger audience. Battlefront 2 for example by any gamer's standards would count as Utter fking garbage. However still 7 millions sales cause casual people saw sick graphics and arcady game.

Warcraft is a game that is difficult to learn and requires focus and dedication for it to be finally rewarding. It doesn't really fit Today's category of gaming which is either Arcade Fun with sick graphics and story or MLG game's for Pro's like League, dota.

Some aspects of WC4 will still appeal to entire audience like an interesting campaign and some Fun mods like Pudge Wars. However The core for multiplayer needs to change. A Macro map for example, Right now it's not easy to learn and control enough for casuals to do multiplayer or balanced enough for it to be MLG.

I have hopes we see a great RTS like WC3 once again but I have high doubts any company would be willing to take the massive risk of a huge RTS development with the current Market.
  4. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

@iliya How old are u? Ingame purchases when w3 was released? Jajajajajajajajajajajajaja. Nothing else to comment about that nonsense mate.

Now being serious, the ONLY reason cause there is no Warcraft 4 is not Warcraft 3 "had bad marketing, had no ingame purchases, or did few money", cause those are all lies. The real and unique reason for no warcraft 4 is simple: Blizzard doesnt want to do it. Blizzard is a business and looks for what gives more money, and nowadays what have mroe fans (the hype, current fashion) and gives more money are: MMO, shooters, card games and Mobas. Oh, wait! WoW, Overwatch, Hearthstone and Hots! Omfg, coincidence!?!?!? NO ¬¬

RTS games is one of my favourite kind of games, and i spent my childhood with aoe, w3, rome tw, m2tw, praetorians... And whatever nearly related to that kind of games. But the childs of my team liked that: thinking, strategies, using mind to win, etc. Childs of nowdays are much more impulsive and hiperactives and prefer CoD or FiFa, not need to think, just quick games, smash some heads and kick some balls. So RTS games are becoming weird in the last years releases. But not cause the business have no money to create them, but cause: there are few players for them, are harder to program and balance properly, are less flashy to attrack new players, and its harder to RTS games to become competitive cause games are less epic, quick and visual, even if a worldwide Warcraft 4 esport tournament (with cool graphics and effects) would be AWESOME to me most people (not used to this kind of games) would find it slow and boring (not like Overwatch with its quick games, spells and lights everywhere or the quick Hearthstone games with great visual effects ocuping nearly all the window).

And Blizzard has already created Starcraft 2 recently to give somehting to the RTS players, so it wont fuck himself releasing another RTS game so soon, they have 1 game in every famous game style of these days, w4 will need to wait till they release no more content and DLC and payment options to Starcraft 2 or till S2 gives less money than they expect from their RTS game (even if i love W3 i hate Starcraft saga).
  5. Nalesean

Nalesean Communism has never been tried Brigand Donator Legend

Derailing the thread even further... anyone played the original command & conquer or Red alert? Or stronghold for that matter.

Also, damn I miss Aow 2.
    • This This x 1
  6. Enclop

Enclop Lord of Winterfell

yeah that. but it would just be good if someone would organise the ent autohosting bot again because relying on people to manually host is just unreliable and inconsistent.
    @Lordsebas is there any progress in getting that ent bost rehosted again.

i dont think nalesean meant wc4 would be an issue in terms of marketing or finance. i think nalesean meant to say that a wc4 game could not emulate the success of wc3.
  7. Lordsebas

Lordsebas

Not yet, we are still working on making sure the map is balanced and mostly bug free. When it is, we will release officially and start the process of having it on ent.
  8. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

Never played the Red Alert but played Command and Conquer Original Generals and Zero Hour. One of the best RTS I ever played. This and WC3 used to rule the Cafes.

@Elbadruhel Starcraft/Coh2 are not the same RTS as WC3 or Command and conquer. Starcraft is not meant to be a fun to play RTS but rather a fully balanced MLG one to attract Profit. A big RTS release like WC3 or Command and Conquer series (not after EA fked it up with its decision to make it another MLG RTS) is not most profitable as I explained for the current gamer's market.

WC3 or Command and conquer are not easy to learn/Fun/Arcady/random and Casual category Nor are they full balanced/Fast paced/MLG category. For one to truly enjoy a game like this they have to go through pain of playing the game for sometime and learning how it's core works which takes some time. Today's casual gamers don't want that, They want to instantly learn the game and be good at it. Meanwhile these two games don't fit Pro Gamers category either as They are not balanced enough to be MLG without being extremely boring and super fast paced where strategy gets replaced by who clicks the fastest. EA tried to make Command and Conquer from what it was into MLG but I think most you know how that turned out...

Games like WC3 won't have massive portion of the market anymore as the markets have changed. However they will have a niche extremely dedicated consumer base but that is not really that profitable. Guess this is why WC3 is still breathing after all this time. Game was quite hard to learn but once you learn it, its extremely enjoyable. AWLR for example, First time you play it you suck total dick and you will continue to do so for a long long time but Once you learn it the reward is worth it.
  9. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Reading u makes me feel what People says they feel when i write long texts to convice them :D.

But i stoped reading u when u compare w3 and comand and conquer... U heretic, blasohemous infidel... Shall the blizzard of the lich King burn u with the fire of burning legion till leave anything of u but a dark shadow to serve the old gods!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Talinn

Talinn Map Maker

I am quite ashamed of a lot of my work on AWLR but at least I did hijack the map from Rhemar. Rhemar isn't a bad person or anything but i doubt he'd give it to Volrath kek.

I'd be willing to donate to ENT on a weekly or monthly basis if a 'fee' would change their mind. =O
    • This This x 1