1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blizzard is shutting down Bots. Rip?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GinoFastidio, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Mesis

Mesis Brigand

Where did Blizzard write that they are shutting down bots?
  2. ZeroFlotsie

ZeroFlotsie Lord of Hate Shaman Legendary Donator

The problem is though, that with hosting bots disappearing, certain assets will also not be available to us, in game kicking/muting of players, not being able to change the ping limit. And don't forget the ELO systems, there are entire competitions based on this competitive system, that ranks players. Being able to see stay % is also a very convenient system. Being able to see what games are being hosted from an online website. There's just alot of convenient additions to the game that will disappear with bots disappearing.

@Mesis The changes they are doing to servers and encryption make it basically impossible for bots to exist.

A message sent to me by one of the ENT Admins.

ENT along with other WC3 communities are shutting down their bots for 48 hours as a protest to Blizzard and to raise awareness amongst the playerbase. Patch 1.30.2 as it stands precludes the possibility of hosting through bot services. If you want to voice your opinion on the issue, please read this post and sign the petition if you wish to keep bots around: https://www.change.org/p/blizzard-return-hosting-bot-functionality-in-the-next-warcraft-3-patch
    • This This x 2
  3. GinoFastidio

GinoFastidio The Elf_blademaster's Hunter and sworn enemy

I own 2 legit copies of the game by the way. i'm no cheap pirate

If you play some competitive games like Tower defense genre. you will know that every bot has stats about players and those are important considering many lobbies we pure players used to hang around were only for 1200+ elo players. that allowed us to have fun and avoid trolls.

Goodbye to ELO and that shit with the new system.
  4. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

Well they are giving away a BETTER version of Warcraft 3 for FREE in China Legally. Nothing shows how overpriced this game is than Blizzard themselves!

Also About the bots I don't mind them going. As long as Bnet can offer the same qualities or better ones than the bots as Flotsie mentioned. However we know that is not gonna happen...
  5. Arlt

Arlt the Last Emperor Advisor Legend

Stop prattling about these stupid Chinese versions. Nobody uses them except you and it is becoming tiresome to listen to you.
    • This This x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. GinoFastidio

GinoFastidio The Elf_blademaster's Hunter and sworn enemy

Well, i guess we gotta wait and see.

Starcraft 2 uses this kind of lobby and it killed the entire game on custom genre.
    • This This x 1
  7. EmperorFawful

EmperorFawful Burn it! Website Admin

Yeah right... as if Blizzard would care that much for hosting bots. It's not like they don't have to care about Warcraft at all, as they pretty much invest money into keeping Nostalgia alive and nothing more.

As for myself, I don't necessarily think that it is a bad change. Only change I see is that we don't need to utilize bots any more while being allowed to host the maps finally for ourselves.
    To some point that's even better, because I as a map maker won't be dependent anymore on requesting my map to be hosted on a bot network, thus easening up the process.
    And while Hive has fine quality standarts, maps I play either might not exist on Hive, because it didn't fit into the quality standarts and/or because it was only uploaded on EpicWar.
    In my eyes a welcoming surprise.

Not to mention that I am tired of reading every patch "Warcraft 3 is dead now, Blizzard killed it with the newest patch". People say that for years on WoW as well and I dunno - looks pretty much alive for me. As long as you're able to host games via BattleNet, I'm fine with it. They might still read stuff and simply improve the system, where people on Hive complain.
    Hosts not able to execute several commands? - Blizzard on Warcraft 3 department will deliver more host functions in the next patch.
    I also might want to add that people claimed during the last patches as well, that custom maps were killed. Oddly enough I hosted few games with Uther and stuff worked out surprisingly fine despite people claiming stuff didn't work.
    Yeah, LTF didn't work.
    But the world isn't just LTF.
  8. Mesis

Mesis Brigand

I personally dislike bots. I don't mind it disappearing as for host functions. I guess if people want ability to kick people than map creators just have to implement it in-game like in the good old days.

I would say bots destroyed w3 custom maps. People unaware of 3rd party websites simply can not play custom games. Bots with Elo system or any kind of whitelist are even worse. I know of a lot of people that wanted to play certain games on a bot but were unable to even find right bots that would allow them to even join
  9. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

I know the truth is painful but only once you accept it you can be set free.

It was hard for me too to accept that Battle.net and specially us the custom map community are a rotting player-base with only 1-3k left. Meanwhile China They got free to play and plus 40K players. More than 10 times us and far better technology. Hell majority of LTA play-base and good bunch is even Chinese. Think about the facts before saying "nobody uses that".
    Maybe instead of shoving our heads in our asses and pretending we are fine we can learn a thing or two from them . It's time to accept the facts instead of letting them takeover the world unchallenged.
    • What? What? x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Mesis

Mesis Brigand

1 billion+ population. Biggest gaming market in the world. 40k people is not that much
    • This This x 1