1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fall of Lordaeron

Discussion in 'Custom Projects' started by Elbadruhel, May 12, 2018.

1. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

I wont add dragon aspects, at least by now. But lk can rise Frost wyrms, the strongest air unit. Also, once lk merges, u can rise elite frostbrood from sindrsgosa fall (and sindragosa as demi). I dont want more drakes.

Btw "scourge" is barov faction after plague unleashed. And they can kill several heroes to rise them as uds. Lk faction (vrykul, ud nerub, in northrend) is lk (yep, im quite original :D).
  2. FruitSalad

FruitSalad

It looks really promising, and it's cool that you put a lot of effort in it ;) If I had something to say, i would say that it looks maybe a bit empty in "big" town, like Stratholme for exemple
    Keep up the good work !
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Ok, lets me introduce to you the feature i was coding...

In lots of maps, uds are bad or weak factions cause they have lack of content or are weak, since mapper has to decide: op spaming rising deads or weak ud faction. Wich is hard to balance. I really love warcraft lore, and "Fall of Lordaeron" is a map based in the fall or lordaeron period (yey! :D), and this "fall" was due mainly to the plague of undeads. Thats why apart of creating cool stuff for orcs and trolls, im working for giving the players a great gameplay with Undeads and against them. Im trying to create the fealing of trully "fighting the deads" and not just "another faction with different units".

My first step in this journey was to create the "plaguing system": CotD and Malganis can move sneaky around lordaeron, spreading the religion of the LK and plaguing farms and grain to convert the living into undeads, this represents the "essence" of the uds, weaken ur enemy and use their former strenght agaisnt them. I have also ideas for next steps in the gameplay that will come when the plague is unleashed, but i wanted to focus first in something more... Tangible, something u will using whole time as ud and more related to fights than simple events or side effects. This is the core of UDs, and i think it has never been done and could give u a great and insteresting gameplay....

Let me introduce you: NECOMANCY.

The necromancers are dark wizzards or renegade mages that studied dark magics related with the dead. They are able to rise dead bodies and bound them to their will as mindless slaves. The greatest necromancer in the world is the own Lick King, who created the Plague of Undeads, but there are tons of necromancers around the world: the winterskorn clan of vrykuls is famous for rising the dead, Kelthuzzad and other renegade mages have fallen to this powerful magics, even some trolls may have tasted this shadow energies.

But... You will say: "fucking stupid, rise dead is a vanilla skill, it is in all fucking w3 maps, wtf are u talking about?!". Well, MY necromancy works in an unique way that fits lore and improves gameplay and strategy:
    + The risen units will serve their master forever. That means they wont dissappear over time. This means UD faction can gather great number of troops even with less pop limit, just rising undeads. You shouldnt allow them to become stronger or they will destroy you with big armies, UDs should have weak early and powerful late game.
    + The risen units are not alive, they are bound to the necromancer. That means that IF THE NECROMANCER DIES, all the units he had risen will crumble! So... If you have to face an enormous army of undead, instead of going forward u can try to flank and backstab the enemy army with quick troops and kill the necromancers that are controling the uds, so killing them all the ud army will collapse.
    + Necromancers are not gods, they can control only a limit number of undeads. So u cant spawn a massive army of undeads with a few necromancers, if u want more undeads, train more necromancers.
    + The undeads are rising deads... That means, that every undead u rise will be an UNDEAD VERSION OF THE UNIT IT WAS IN LIFE. So, if u kill a human soldier, u will rise an undead footman, if u kill an ogre, u will rise a big tough undead ogre... This represents the main essence of Undeads in lore: the bigger the enemy u destroy, the stronger it will be under ur command in dead. Thats why LK lured Arthas and then did the same with Death Knights and tried to do the same with the champions of argent crusade (the players).
    + A necromancer will always try to have the strongest servants. That means that if u control a bunch of undead human footmen, and u try to rise an undead ogre, one of the footman will crumble and the ogre will start its undead servitude to its master. BUT! If a necromancer has the max number of undeads posible, and he tries to rise a new one that is weaker than one of those he already controls, he wont rise it and will keep the good ones. That means if u leave it in "autocast" u will just waste some mana but u wont ever lose good units.
    + Of course, even if they are permanent, the risen undeads are still unnatural summons, so they can be dispeled. But since they have a max number they will be stronger than usually, like real units. This means u will be able to have a good army of undeads and that ur risen units will do real dmg, so u wont block urself with useless meatshields.
    + Again, as they are undead, they are all vulnerable to light powers. So if u are (for example) Silver Hand, and u cant kill the necromancers, u can always fight them with mace and light and make ur way to the necromancers trough the army of the dead. Other factions, like Eastweald, could prefer to use sneaky units like rangers, to move into the enemy lanes and murder the necromancers to crumble all the undead army with 1 shot. Every faction will have its unique way to do the job.

Hope u like the idea. If u have any doubt or suggestion, ask it to me! And yes, this all is already working ingame ;)

My idea is to create the following undeads: human<dwarf<orc<ogre as mele and elf<troll as ranged. Nowadays all of them are in the same skil and i have a max number of 3 undeads per necromancer. But since some players would say: "man the troll is better than the ogre cause is ranged, why i lose the troll to get that fat ogre?" im considering to split the spell into 2 different groups, so u can have only 2 mele and 2 ranged ones. So u will lose the humans for an ogre, but not for an elf, and u will lose the elf for a troll but not for an orc. That will allow people to have "balanced" armies of undeads, even if those armies wont be so specialized as a true army.

What do u think, 2 groups or just 1?

PD: Note to pros. According to my idea of "easy to learn, hard to master", players can set it as "autocast" to rise all the deads posible in a fight, but risking to waste some mana if u already have the max and the new one is not better. So a good player could improve the efficience using it manually in his necros in a fight.

Greetings!
    • Like Like x 1
    • This This x 1
  4. B-Roy7

B-Roy7 Nostalgic

That's exactly how I picture a scourge. Seems like it would be a mess to trigger, well done. You seem to have it down i can't think of anything constructive to add to that part.
    I was wondering if you have completed Eastweald's unit roster yet? Sneaking, scouting and ambushing is a fun type of gameplay. I am excited to see it is all
    Edit: since the Lich King is the master necromancer, he should have a mass raise dead spell, limited to northrend, making it tougher to attack.
  5. Den 5112

Den 5112

Cool idea with necromancy.But i am think that you need to make somthing like a necromancers control range,it can be big but without it primary necromancer will control they army far away from the fight(even from Northrend)and factions like eastweald will not have a chance against undead becouse how you can kill necromancers far away from you :D. Also this fits in lore, as i remember then lich king was weakened by illidans spell he lost control on some undeads in lordaeron that means that only necromancer of really GREAT power can controll undeads everythere.
  6. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Nop, havent ended eastweald. I want to work and end all humans at the same time, since they will need to coop. So its harder and i had not time. Also, nearly all factions are having small changes to fit balance.

Jajaja. Do u spy me? Yes, my idea for LK is that he could rise everything that may die in northrend (not beasts, murlocs or other shit). And give him a high máx of risen, but i still need to study and test it. Also, if i finally add It, once i implement lk merging, arthas lk will keep the skill. Rise deads in the cold north is not so good as rise deads in the middle of a war, so it would be a power up.

I understand ur point and agree with it, in theory. But idk how to code it and i dont think its trully needed. Where is the problem with necros being able to send uds far away? To rise them u need to be close to the dying, so close to the fight. So necro is not far away. If u mean "sending surviving uds far away after a fight"... Good luck with It, without support of necros or other units they should die easily, so u are giving free exp. Also, that means ur necros are far away, but alone. So they wont be able to win a new fight by their own to rise new uds, unless u spend gold in normal units. So... U are sending far away free uds to harrass/suicide, to give free exp and force urself to spend gold to recruit units (wich besides cost pop)... Gg wp :D

Glad u like the idea and thanks for ur good comments.

I have good news: summer has come, time to touch my balls and work freely in the map :D
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Hello everyone, i have nearly ended the design of alliance factions, i bring u a list with them so u can check it and maybe help me to end it (i have few doubts). Also, this way u may create a "pic" of how factions and teams will work ingame to decresae the waiting :p

Lordaeron - I still didnt decide the elite, QUITE probably a heavy infantry footman.

1. Lordaeron Footman. Heavy Infantry. Shielded.
    2. Lordaeron Halberdier. Heavy Infantry. Bonus vs Cavalry.
    3. Lordaeron Cavalry. Heavy Cavalry. Shielded.
    4. Silver Hand Knight. Heavy Cavalry. Bonus vs Cavalry.
    5. Lordaeron Archer. Heavy Infantry. Medium range.
    6. Brother of the Light. Support caster.
    7. Mage of Lordaeron. Offensive/Summoner caster.
    8. Lordaeron Catapult. Strong siege.
    9. War Eagle. Ligh Cavalry. Flying.

Silver Hand - Probably a Paladin.

4. Silver Hand Knight. Heavy Cavalry. Bonus vs Cavalry.
    5. Lordaeron Archer. Heavy Infantry. Medium Range.
    6. Brother of the Light. Support Caster.
    7. Silver Hand Priestess. Support Caster.
    8. Lordaeron Catapult. Strong siege.

Elves - Sunstrider Archmage

1. Farstrider Militia. Light Infantry. Shielded. or Elven Footman. Heavy Infantry. Shielded.
    2. Thalassian Swordman. Light Infantry. Good damage. or Elven Spearman. Leavy Infantry. Bonus vs Cavalry.
    3. Elven Ranger. Light Infantry. Long range.
    4. Thalassian Soldier. Light Infantry. Magic Shield (gives magic inmunity and Shielded). Bonus vs Cavalry. Has 1 spell.
    5. Falthrien Protector. Light Infantry. Magic Shield (gives magic inmunity and Shielded). Bonus vs Infantry. Has 1 spell.
    6. Thalassian Priest. Support Caster.
    7. Falthrien Mage. Offensive Caster.
    8. Elven Construct. Melee siege. Good defence.
    9. Elven Dragonhawk. Ligh Cavalry. Flying. Has 1 spell.

Eastweald - Windrunner Rangers.

1. Axeman?. Light Infantry. Bonus vs Heavy.
    2. Eastweald Militia. Light Infantry. Bonus vs Heavy. Shielded.
    3. Silver Hand Knight. Heavy Cavalry. Bonus vs Cavalry.
    4. Eastweald Hunter. Light Infantry. Medium Range.
    5. Elven Ranger. Light Infantry. Long range.
    6. Javalineer?. Light Infantry. Short range. Bonus vs Cavalry.
    7. Brother of the Light. Support Caster.
    8. Human Catapult. Weak siege.

Dalaran - Kirin Tor.

1. Axeman. Light Infantry. Bonus vs Heavy.
    2. Javalineer. Light Infantry. Short range. Bonus vs Cavalry.
    3. Mounted Axeman. Light Cavalry. Bonus vs Heavy.
    4. Dalaran Wizzard. Offensive caster.
    5. Dalaran Mage. Summoner caster.
    6. Silvermoon Priest. Support caster.
    7. Silvermoon Sorcerer. Debuffer caster.
    8. Arcane Construct. Melee siege. Good defence.

Dwarves - Dwarven Bear Rider.

1. Bronzebeard Infantry. Heavy Infantry. Shielded. Bonus vs Heavy.
    2. Stormpike Thane. Heavy Infantry. Bonus vs Heavy. or Stormpike Militia. Light Infantry. Bonus vs Cavalry. or Stormpike Rider. Light Cavalry. Bonus vs Infantry.
    3. Bronzebeard Paladin. Heavy Infantry. Light Spells.
    4. Bronzebeard Fusileer. Light Infantry. Medium Range. Bonus vs Heavy.
    5. Stormpike Axethrower. Light Infantry. Short Range.
    6. Wildhammer Shaman. Support caster.
    7. Wildhammer Catapult. Strong siege.
    8. Strompike Mortar. Long range siege better vs units but worse than usual vs buildings. Weaker defence but faster movement.
    9. Wildhammer Gryphon. Light Cavalry. Flying.

First Legion - I still didnt decide the elite, QUITE probably a heavy infantry footman.

4. Silvermoon Priest. Support caster.
    5. Silvermoon Sorcerer. Debuffer caster.
    6. Elven Ranger. Light Infantry. Long range.
    7. Bronzebeard Fusileer. Light Infantry. Medium Range. Bonus vs Heavy.
    8. Strompike Mortar. Long range siege better vs units but worse than usual vs buildings. Weaker defence but faster movement.
    9. Wildhammer Gryphon. Light Cavalry. Flying.

As you can see, some factions are better at magic (Dalaran and HE), others have better ranged dmg (like Eastweald), other rely in heavy units (lordy or SH), etc. So the team should coop to achieve the best ending.

Silver Hand looks quite similar to Lordaeron cause in lore, silver hand was the nobility of lordearon and comamnder of its armies (thats why Eastweald has silver hand knights, they are the noble living there, that have to rise militia and hunters to fight for them since the army is in the west and the south). But Alexandros restored the order as a Crusade, making it its own army, u will be able to do that (if lordaeron falls or Uther dies, i still have to decide it).

Mainly i have doubts with 1 dwarven unit, and with 2 elven ones. But u can comment or suggest whatever u want. The two elven units in the right share the same armor look like, and the two in the left share with thalassian or looks like militia, so 2 of right or 2 of left, i wont mix them to make the faction look prettier.

I have already created a math program code in my laptop to have balanced costs and average values in the units. So once i decide the unit stats i will recieve the value how much gold it should cost, that way thigns wont be OP. I now have to decide wich units would be stronger (and expensiever) and wich weaker (and cheaper). My "general" idea, is to make militias the cheapest, human cheap, orcs and trolls normal and ogre, dwarves and elves the expensievest. But u can suggest me whatever u want.

Greetings!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Den 5112

Den 5112

Nice design good work :-)!And now i want to talk about what you can do to make units more unique in each faction.Answer is simple:You can just rename unit and change his stats a little but keep its focus on something.For example by this way you can avoid of almost each alliance faction having Silver Hand Knight by just renaming it in Lordaeron Champion (if we talk about Lordaeron) or in Silverhand Comander or Silverhand Ambassador(If we talk about Eastweald) and change they stats a little bu keep they focus on Cavalry good vs Cavalry.;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

That is a good point. But i think it has sense for the alliance to have repeated units. It makes easier to smaller teams to counter them cause they dont have to deal with "infinite" variety of units.

But u are right in the "unique touch", the only difference is i have had another different idea to approach that "uniqueness" than different name and stats: repeated units has a "main" faction, silver hand knights for sh, elven rangers for high elves, lordaeron army for lordaeron. And so their core faction can have researches to empower them over those units of their allies. For example shk having some light spell, elven ramgers being trained by farstriders, lordaeron army having better stats or something, etc

That way i think is also faster and easier to me (balance 3 units is easier than balance 27), easier for the player to counter it and also keeps the uniqueness.

Have in mind alliance is 7 guys With 9 units each, what makes 63 units in their team roster. Horde has 12 for their own. Trolls 11 each faction, uds 10 each. Its normal that bigger teams has more repeated units to try to keep them a bit more balanced and counterable, and even with those repetition i think each alliance faction is Still unique and has its own playstyle, isnt it? (except lordaeron and early sh copypaste :D)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Quelthalas:

upload_2018-7-3_14-45-7.png

From left to right:
    Elven Swordman. Heavy Infantry. Shielded, reduce the ranged dmg the unit takes. Good to be the core of elven armies, useful to hold the troll ranged damage with their shields.
    Elven Spearman. Heavy Infantry. Bonus vs Cavalry. Trained elven soldier, specialized to kill the countless beasts the amani could send to Quelthalas.
    Thalassian Guard. Light Infantry. Magic Shield, protects the unit from magic and reduces ranged dmg received. Short range unit wich excels to fight agaisnt summons and mages.
    Thalassian Priest. Caster. Noble priest of Quelthalas, useful to encourage the elves and protect them in battle.
    Elven Ranger. Light Infantry. Long range elven lady using a deadly bow.
    Elven Dragonhawk. Light Cavalry. Flying unit able to use elven magic to take control of the skies.
    Falthrien Protector. Light Infantry. Magic Shield, protects the unit from magic and reduces ranged dmg received. Bonus vs Heavy. Melee warrior maiden able to hunt down evil beasts.
    Falthrien Magister. Caster. Great elven wizzard able to cast powerful spells to destroy its enemies.
    Elven Construct. Siege unit. This great golem is built by the elves to protect their kingdom, able to absorb great amounts of dmg and to destroy enemy buildings.

Worker and Sunfire Archmage. Sunfire Archmage is elven elite, a caster with several cool spells, one of the most useful being: "Purify" wich cleans all blight and spells in an area and inflicts great damage to any summon affected, great to destroy undead beasts and horrors and clean the land.

Your starting heroes are (bottom row):
    + Lorthemar Theron. Your true main hero. Melee fighter.
    + Anasterian Sunstrider. CANT RESS. The High King of the elves is the strongest hero of the faction, powerful wizzard and one of the few ones able to teleport in the game.
    + Sylvanas Windrunner. CANT RESS. The Ranger General of Silvermoon is a deadly archer able to hunt down her enemies. But if she dies, that power could turn agaisnt u...

You have unlockable heroes in the other lane:
    + Rommath. The grand magister of Quelthalas will come to serve you once Anasterian dies and Quelthalas is destroyed. You get a research to "call Kael", he will come, restore silvermoon and leave the city to "look for vengeance", leaving Rommath behind to serve the High Elves. (so he replaces Anasterian as faction great mage).
    + Halduron Brightwind. The new Ranger General of Silvermoon was elected once Sylvanas died. You can get him if u lose the elven lady. (he is like a weaker sylvanas).
    • Like Like x 1