1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fall of Lordaeron

Discussion in 'Custom Projects' started by Elbadruhel, May 12, 2018.

1. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Arthas belongs to "First Legion" faction. Is a small faction based around Andorhal (center lordaeron). You have been sent there by your father, the King Therenas, to check Alterac and the plague that is starting to appear around the towns of the North. At the start, you can recruit few units of Lordaeron, but you can ask for help to both dwarves and high elves, improving your roster. Also, as Arthas is in his quest, will have a "investigate" skill to check if there are cultists or plagued grain in a town, making him able to destroy it to counter the CotD corruption (if u manage to reach it before it strikes). If u are slow or the CotD is smarter, you will end facing razed towns, blighted lands and spawns of zombies and other ud troops, to deal with those enemies u should cooperate with the Silver Hand, since Lordaeron will be bussy dealing with the orc menace of the south.

At some point, the "Purge of Stratholme" event will be triggered, and it will allow Arthas to send an expedition to Northrend to duel Mal'Ganis. There, Arthas will become unrevivable, and so will be Mal'Ganis, dwarves can send help with Muradin. And there will be only 4 possible endings for that fight: Arthas wins with or without Frostmourne or Arthas loses with or without Frostmourne. If Arthas wins without Frostmourne, he will stay pure and will come back to Lordaeron as a hero (only HIGH skilled players should be able to get this), if Arthas wins taking Frostmourne, he will be corrupted and turned into a DK, killing his own men and becoming the champion of the LK, if Arthas loses with or withour frostmourne, he will be rised as UD by the LK. I will post one day a complete list with how every option affects: LK, Legion and First legion factions, but summarizing: LK wants Arthas to win WITH the sword, Arthas wants to win WITHOUT the sword, and Mal'Ganis wants Arthas to lose. So if Arthas is strong and pushing Legion, LK will help Legion, if Legion is strong enough and Arthas is forced to pick up Frosrmourne, LK will just focus in other places and if Legion stomps Arthas... Gj Legion, u have LK under control! :D. If Legion wants to be strong enough to deal with Arthas, they should have plagued eastern Lordaeron during early game, razed Stratholme, and deal properly with Drakkari in Northrend.

Summarizing: You are a good player? You can get better things. You are worse? You will have it harder in the future.

The idea of what im trying to do with events and paths is:
    + If you are defeated and betray, you will be weaker (cause u change team to save ur ass).
    + If an ally betray, you or other of your allies will be able to choose a stronger path.
    + If you are completly destroyed and no one allows u to recover in his lands, you are DEAD. No ethernal come backs from forgotten islands.

Glad you like how the map is going :-)

Nowdays im working in ending human and ud rosters (its harder cuase i have to create them all at the same time to make every faction different and unique). And also starting to map Tirisfal Glades. I have started to code Dalaran heroes skills and the same for Horde heroes, it goes slowly cause i try to create spells based in lore and faction gameplay for everyfaction. For example, Garrosh is getting warrior skills, related with his name and lore, Thrall is a master of Thunder and Earth powers and Drekthar is a mele general with wolfs and windfury. Jaina is getting frost spells and tp, Antonidas is a defensive hero with bonus to neighbour units and anti UD aoe, ... etc.

If you have any idea or suggestion for any spell for a unit or hero, i dont assure u i will add it, but you are welcome to sugges it :p If its cool, fits the faction and its not broken, i will try to add it ;)

About allowing other guys as LK... I have MUCH work to do, code and map, so i have no time to add different fake options right now, let me end the map first, make it work, a bit balanced, and i will continue adding events and stuff little by little. Nowadays EVERYTHING is based on lore, only with a changed spot in timeline: Medivh never came back.
  2. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

I have been doing few roster updates to balance the global game. Now, factions of small teams will have more variety of units to choose, what will allow them to do more strategies by their own (like Horde), meanwhile factions members of big teams will have less units in their roster, lacking some stuff what will force them to cooperate with their teammates to win (like alliance).
    @Szons
  3. Den 5112

Den 5112

Can you write about first legion heroes and events as you did it about lordaeron etc
  4. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

I didnt post them yet cause i was still doubting a bit about their final path (im doing some changes in lordaeron factions to make them cooler, more balanced and give all of them similar stuff, so no faction stays empty in every game and everyone could have its favourite one). But, here you have the current status of First Legion:

upload_2018-6-16_21-6-27.png

First Legion starts as an elite force of the Alliance. King Therenas has ordered his son and heir Arthas Menethil to take some men and investigate the plague that is attacking the North while the main armies of the Kingdom face the threat of the Orcs in the south. Arthas, with his old friend-captains: Falric and Marwyn, will lead a SMALL roster of Lordaeron troops from his base in Andorhal. He has few pop, so he wont be able to gather a big army, unless he expands. But he is overseeing the farms around Andorhal, so he will have a good income that will allow him to have a good and well prepared army... If he manages to keep the farms up and uncorrupted...

Arthas first task should be to secure Stranbrad, what will bring him a few more pop, enabling the faction to recruit more troops to prepare for what is going to come... Arthas has an special skill called "Investigate", it will reveal all plague chauldrons and hiden acolytes around him, enabling him to destroy them before they do real dmg. But if Arthas is not quick enough, the acolytes will be able to place chauldrons and plague farms, what will both damage human economy and land, and also start to spawn zombies to attack the nerby area. Arthas should run quickly to this points (as Silver Hand) to defeat the undeads before its too late.

First Legion is a faction for people who enjoy controling small but strong forces (Hero squad and 1-2 control groups). A faction that will depends A LOT in ur decisions and gameplay, if u do fine and u outplay ur enemy, u will win. If u fail and get cheated, u will be outnumbered, surrounded and defeated. Do u have enough skill?

To help u in this hard task, u can ask for help to dwarves and elves (not players, just a research), that will increase ur roster with several new units each, that will give u more chances to counter the enemy undeads. U will have to decide where to spend ur resources, where to focus first, etc. And if u fail and ur farms are plagued, u wont have resources at all. So... Defend ur people!

At some point, Mal'Ganis will start the "Purge of Lordaeron" to destroy Stratholme. You should go there to help Silver Hand to defend it, or the UDs will get a strong position in eastern lordaeron and Alliance will lose a GREAT base. Once the event is ended, u will be able to "counterstrike", launching an invasion to Northrend. This will give u some new recruits (spanwed units and 2 demis) and a base in Northrend. There, a duel to dead between Mal'Ganis and Arthas will take place. Both become unrevivable, only 1 can survive. Arthas can or not to pick up frostmourne. With Frostmourne he will have MUCH more power to defeat Mal'Ganis, without Frostmourne is probably that LK will help Mal'Ganis agaisnt u to force u to pick the sword or lose.

If Arthas manages to win without the sword, the UDs will be really fucked and u will be able to go back home pure, now free to defeat enemies of Lordaeron with renewed strenght. If Arthas picks the sword and win, he would have sold his soul in exchange of power, killing Mal'Ganis will help his people ofc, but he will turn into a bigger threat, joining the UD forces as a Dk and killing his own men to rise them as uds too. If u lose, Arthas will be rised as Dk by the LK, and will kill all ur men and put them under ur undead command (so try to win always, even if u want to betray, or u will be weaker).

Later i had tought to add them the option to take revenge agaisnt the uds that managed to defeat u in Northrend, but im still not sure if give Forsaken to another faction, i will have to study it. But in first version it wont be ingame, just First Legion and Fallen Lordaeron if u are vanquished in Northrend.

PD: No one can go to help u in Northrend, except Dwarves with Muradin Expedition. No Tps allowed in that fight.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Den 5112

Den 5112

Thank you.Cant wait to play your map:-)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

You are welcome.

Glad to listen that, hope u like to play it :D.

I have ended with maping tirisfal glades and silverpine forest. Starting with Central Lordaeron now. I still need to end and polish great and unique capitals: Lordaeron, Dalaran, Stromgarde... Once i end Central and Eastern Lordaeron, i stop mapping and start to polish and end faction unit rosters once for all.

If someone wants to suggest or comment anything, u are welcome.

Nowadays, areas safer and remote has fewer resources: nothing in northreron or Dun Modr, 1 mine in Arathi, 1 forest in Highlands... But central or contested areas have more resources: 2 forests in Silverpine, 1 forest and 1 mine in Tirisfal, etc. That way, i want to encourage players to fight for the best spots in the map, and not just "turtle and hide in a remote island".

Ofc, u can play as u want, but if u have no access to good resources and u have no pop to maintian a big army... U will be erased easily under the power of bigger and more numerous enemies. Some factions can counter this in some degree: for example uds rising uds (need no gold or pop for that), naxx being movile, or orcks sacking and looting enemy lands. What will make every faction to have access to different tactis. But, in general: if u turtle hided in a corner, u will die, unless is an strategy to earn time while ur allies do something.

PD: On the other hand, most factions are free to play however they want and live wherever u want. U can be Dalaran and push forward and end living in Zul Aman, for example. There is no problem with that. BUT, u must have in mind the unique events of ur faction, like Horde with encampments in lordaeron, every troll with its temples, jintha'alor with the ogres, Dalaran with its city, etc.
  7. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Some pics of current work:

North Silverpine:
    You can see here some Lordaeron farms and a living forest in the west. This will be one of main economic areas of Lordaeron faction.

upload_2018-6-18_18-59-57.png

Lordaeron Capital:

You can see the big and important city of Lordaeron, from where King Therenas rules his kingdom. Also, some other farms around the capital that will provide income to the realm (and could be plagued).

upload_2018-6-18_19-1-25.png

Northwest Tirisfal Glades:

More and more farms of Lordaeron (Sollidens Farmstead, Agamand mills).... Here u can also see the safe port of Lordaeron, even if its not a seafaring faction.

upload_2018-6-18_19-3-2.png

North tirisfal glades:

Here u can see another farm and the city of Brill, wich belongs to House Barov (no lordaeron) and still need to be done (working in human things right now, later on uds ones). From here, some acolytes should start moving around to plague all the nerby farms. U can also see the lake with murlocs to creep in the island (may be changed), as u can see, im trying to use similar creep camps all around, that way is easier to balance the creeping for all factions. Those 2 towers belongs to Silver Hand faction, not Lordaeron.

upload_2018-6-18_19-5-32.png

Vandermar:

This hidden valleys lays west of Lordaeron Capital and south of Solliden Farmstead, they belong to House Barov, who rules Vandermar (the village in the east) wich later was known as "Deathknell". Here, the acolytes of CotD could hide from alliance forces, and u may even prepare troops in the valleys to attack Lordaeron, ofc, the alliance always can come here to check if u are doing "evil stuff" but u know... It may be a waste of time and meanwhile u could be striking other places, CotD will use mind games to do the most damage. Also, here lays a gold mine that will be basic in Barov Income. Again, Vandermar, as Barov city, still needs to be done.

upload_2018-6-18_19-8-43.png

Eastern Tirisfal Glades:

And again, more Lordaeron farms. From this one Arthas got his "Invencible" steed (just lore note :D). U can see what later became the "Bulwark", a narrow pass from Tirisfal Glades into central Lordaeron, that nowadys is quite unprotected and could be easily crossed by allies or enemies. In the north, u can see a living wood that should be chopped by Silver Hand, who owns Scarlet Monastery north of there (the monastery may start as creep area and SH can conquer it).

upload_2018-6-18_19-11-48.png

Have in mind everything is still wip and may be improved with time. Share ur toughts and give all the feedback u can so i can improve it as much as posible.

Greetings!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Den 5112

Den 5112

Nice terrain.Good job.;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

From previous pics u can notice some ideas i have for my map, but i will sumarize them here:
    - No mass towers. Towers will be expensive and will take time to be built. BUT, they will be strong too and if well placed, could help u a lot against the enemy. What will also force him to use siege to take it down properly. Summarizing: use ur resources in build defences or in making an army, but u wont be able to "mass everything". I want people to take decisions and those decisions to matter.
    - Some factions will start with better economy than others. For example, Lordaeron is supposed to start as a strong faction with tons of farms to get income, BUT, those farms can be destroyed or plagued, weakening lordaeron. On the other hand, other factions will rely more in natural resources, wich cant be destroyed: gold mines and woodlands.
    - Gold mines give u gold (really?) and have a max amount of production per min, what means that a "safe production" is the best in mine to have a constant income of gold; woodlands on the contrary, will give lumber (fucking genious, really), what means it wont be so useful to make units unless the trade is good. BUT, u can chop as much as u can as fast as u can in a short period of time and then, leave the area and go to safer lands, woodland will rebirth but slowly. So woodlands is good for "savage" factions or people good enough to do blitzkrieg with his armies: enter a land, destroy its defenses, chop as much as u can, and before they come back, retreat. U will get tons of resources and leave their lands empty. Orcs or Trolls may like this.
    - Lordaeron has a great amount of land, but is a land of farmers, with no cities or big towns. What leaves Lordy with great economy but may have few pop. In other words this means: if Lordaeron loses Stromgarde and Durnholde, he may be fucked in Lordaeron capital. Also, this means that Lordaeron should focus in taking Brill and Vandermar as fast as posible once Barov becomes an enemy, to secure Tirisfal Glades and have enough pop to face big enemies.
    - All capitals and big cities have at least 2 entrances. I want strongholds to be strong and good defensive points. But not unconquerable and frustrating. If u have much more troops than the defender, u will be able to siege from 2 points, what will allow u to take the city easier.

Any doubt ask me!
  10. Den 5112

Den 5112

But why you have made 2 gates in Lordaeron Capital city