1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hidden Gems of the Object Editor

Discussion in 'Map Making' started by Woodenplank, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Woodenplank

Woodenplank Brigand Map Maker

Here I will try to list the Abilities from the World Editor which, in my opinion, are the most useful.
    These spells carry some obscure functionality that may not always be apparent, and here I will try to teach you how to utilize it.

Feel free to make suggestions, and I might incorporate them into the list here.

Silence
    But, it just "Silences" in an area? Well yes... That's the basic Warcraft 3 effect. But for some reason Blizzard decided to give us a treat, and add a huge bunch of functionality to this spell. It's object values are:
    Attack Speed Modifier
    Movement Speed Modifier
    Chance to Miss
    Attacks Prevented

>Melee
    >Ranged
    >Spells
    You may notice that only a single one of these effects (Attacks Prevented: Spells) is used in Warcraft 3.
    But you can modify this ability to create anything from "Mind Confusion" (disable basic-attacking), "AoE Bloodlust" (attack Speed/Movement speed modifiers), "AoE Curse" (Miss chance), "AoE Slow" (attack Speed/Movement speed modifiers), and more!
    +Cloud
    The Dragonhawk Channel'd ability. Once again; Blizzard only uses a fraction of its potential in-game. It has the same object values as Silence, but again only uses one effect (Attacks Prevented: Ranged).
    In short; this ability is like a Channeled version of Silence.​

Roar
    While this ability is usually just used for a Damage Increase, it can do much more. It's object values are
    Damage Increase (%)
    Defense (//Armor) Increase
    Mana Regen
    Life Regeneration Rate
    Max Units

So this can be a defensive ability (life regen+armor), or various offensive versions (damage+mana regen), etc.
    +Battle Roar
    Battle Roar has the same object values as Roar, except the Damage Increase, which is flat instead of percentage (i.e. +40 damage, instead of +40%)
    +Howl of Terror
    Howl of Terror has identical Object values as Roar, but is designed to work against enemies, rather than friendlies.​

Parasite
    This useful debuff ability can be used for a variety of purposes. It is particular in that it cannot be dispelled. It's object values are
    Damage Per Second
    Attack Speed Factor
    Movement Speed Factor
    Stacking Type

Attack Rate
    Damage
    Kill Unit
    Movement
    Summoned Unit Count
    Summoned Unit Duration
    Summoned Unit Type

So the ability can modify movement/attack-speed, deal damage over time, and spawn a unit of your choice upon death (this can be replaced by a dummy, if you wish to use it as a non-spawning debuff).
    Note that the Stacking Type allows you to control if multiple applications deal stacking Damage over time, and/or stack the slowing effects to super-slow an enemy.

Faerie Fire
    This ability is fairly unextraordinairy, as it is mostly just an armor debuff.
    But it has a unique effect that it grants vision over targeted enemies, allowing the ability to function as a "spy debuff".

Storm Crow Form
    Okay, this is just a regular unit Morph mostly. But it has one useful trait; it can be used to make a non-flying unit be considered flying in the trigger editor, so that you can change its flying height, etc. Like this:
    Temp.PNG

Lightning Attack
    Fairly straight forward, allows you to make a unit attack with Lightning Effects (Finger of Death, Drain Life, Chain Lightning, etc.) instead of a projectile.
    (Think of Chimeras and Thunder Lizard attacks)

Berserk
    It's object values are:
    Attack Speed Increase
    Movement Speed Increase
    Damage Taken Increase

It's a rather simple spell, but with some negative values and such you can make a lot of interesting abilities, such as Defensive Stand (Reduced movement speed, but reduced damage taken), Invulnerability (100% damage reduction, but you can still be targeted/stunned unlike Divine Shield), Sprint (high movement speed increase, but increased damage taken), and more!

Defend
    This ability has several unused object values, that aren't used in basic warcraft 3.
    Attack Speed Factor
    Chance to Deflect
    Damage Dealt
    Damage Taken
    Deflect Damage taken (Piercing)
    Deflect Damage taken (Spells)
    Movement Speed Factor

With all of these you can create a lot of spells. Magic resistance at the cost of extra piercing damage? Trading movement/attack speed for a chance to deflect incoming arrows? Reduced damage dealt, but gaining extra movement speed? There are a lot of combinations here!
    +Elune's Grace
    For some reason, this ability has the same object values as Footmen's "Defend" ability. So it's essentially a passive-always-enabled Defend.​

Channel
    While this ability does nothing in itself (i.e. no damage, no buffs, no healing, nada) it is incredibly useful for custom triggering abilities. I've already covered it in my other tutorial, so take a look there.

Thunderclap, Warstomp, Shockwave, Volcano, Earthquake
    While they're alright for regular Warcraft 3, these abilities are trouble in large maps (and it seems to me most Brigandshaven favourites are large maps).
    The issue is that they cause Terrain Deformation which, even at the best of times, causes spikes of lag and framerate drops. It would be ludicrous to use them in large-scale maps such as Azeroth Wars, LTA, etc.

Replacements?
    For Shockwave, simply use Crushing Wave or Carrion Swarm. They have the exact same object values, but do not cause terrain deformation.
    For Thunderclap/Warstomp, use Fan-Of-Knives as an AoE damage spell, and use a triggered-dummy to apply the slow (or just trigger the whole thing with Channel)
    For Earthquake, I take it you could use some Death & Decay + Slow Aura dummy. Again; triggers would be involved.
    For Volcano, get on your knees and cry.
    • Like Like x 6
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

Nice collection of the important spells.
    Roar/Howl are also very flexible (mana/health regen, attack/armor changes), and then there is Acid Bomb and Parasite for non-dispellable effects (damage over time, attack/movement speed buffs and armor in the case of acid bomb)

@Moderators/Administrators.
    I think it'll be helpful if there was a subsection called "Tutorials" or something where all these tricks/tutos can be posted. So that they don't get mixed with the usual Map editing questions.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Woodenplank

Thanks for the heads-up, those are great.
    Doom is also identical to Parasite in most ways (if not all??) btw.

I'll add them to the list some time.
  4. Onyx

Onyx GrimmHeart Darksbane

Nope, Doom is very specific, for example I think you can't load a unit doomed into a ship (should apply for zeppelin)
    I don't remember everything but check FunnyWarcraft on yt and its video about pitlord/doomguard

Edit :
    Here's the video :

You can target magic immun units with Doom but not Parasite for example

And you can burrow your fiends while being parasited but not when doomed
    Parasite will get out even if doomed
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  5. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Nice thread wooden. I have already used some of them (channel thanks to u máster :D) but didnt know about the lag spikes ones.

I still want to create an "Air shock" skill that deals dmg and push back enemies in a cone. Maybe the crow form could be the way to that "push back" effect?
  6. Woodenplank

Hmn, never knew all of these, thanks for pointing it out. Guess I'll leave it outta the list for now then :p

At least I can explain this bit. Warcraft 3 Ultimate abilities do not check for magic immunity, so abilities like Doom, Charm, and Starfall will still hit magic immunes.
    (You can change this with the Gameplay Constants though)

Do you need them to be flying? "Push back" skills often just skid units along the ground?
  7. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

The point is i dont know how to make a skill to skid some units in its area of effect. So as i saw ur crow form spell moves the units, i tought it could be the answer. But yes, im pretty sure u are right and there must be a simplier way to make them skid, im just too newbie to see it :D.
  8. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

You could use this thing that I once made for corruption of veseon, would be a waste if it only saw action there.
    It's an ability where your hero channels for some time, then releases a wave that pushes units back depending on how long he channeled.
    You can control the minimum push (min channel time) and maximum push (full channel time) through the variables.
    It's made to work even on large maps as well, no lag from this one.

But it might be a bit hard to understand for someone who isn't used to triggers, just make sure to set the parameters right, you don't really need to understand how it works to be able to use it. and the variable names are intuitive.
    I currently don't have time to make a tutorial about it, but since @Woodenplank is on a tutorial spree, perhaps he could make a thread explaining how this thing works, it could attract people's attention to how awesome hashtables are.

Attached Files:

9. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

I have exp moding other games, and i have already started to use triggers in w3, i have created some cool skill by my own since great woodenplank taught me the basics and answered my annoying doubts :D. So... i hope i could understand ur skill, tanks, i will give a look to it once i have time.

I had in mind something easier, just use the skill do the dmg and push back the guys a fixed amount. But im pretty sure that once i see ur code i would be able to obtain how to do that and create a simplier version of the spell. But... That channeling idea... Is really cool, "fus ro dah!" or "Word of Power" comes to my mind. "U shall not pass!" :D. Interesting.

Im glad there are more masters of triggering around here that not only wooden. Thanks mate.
  10. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

No problem. However, I just remembered that I didn't remove the point leaks from this, it was the ultimate in that map, so a few leaks from it weren't really a big deal and I was too lazy to fix them.
    If the spell will be used often in your map, I suggested you add the destroyLocation lines, I'm already putting the points in variables before using them, so it shouldn't be too much work.

Good luck ! I hope the triggers will prove to be useful to you.

You can also just shorten the channeling to 0.01 and set the min and max distance/AOE/PushSpeed to be the same value, it is equivalent to not having channeling.