1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kalimdor: the Aftermath - Introduction Thread

Discussion in 'Kalimdor: the Aftermath' started by spinel, Dec 29, 2016.

1. EmperorFawful

EmperorFawful Gatsby Guardian Website Admin

Ratings:
    +3,009 / 29 / -106
    You forget Sunstrider's Flagship in LTA/LTF, which works as a transport ship and a melee ship at the same time - but I kinda agree, naval diversity is not given.

Remember from Azeroth Wars: Cataclysm/WotEW the Doomships, which Horde could train? Basically a Battleship with long artillery range.
    Would be kinda interesting to see Dark Green and Red being able to produce these at some point, maybe in a nerfed variation (so they can't target buildings or at least not important structures).
    In general a lot can be done. We know for example that Garrosh's Horde also enslaved Kraken and other monsters for sea battles.
    Water elementals were in LTA amphibic units - same could be done in KTA as well in terms of defense mechanisms for Theramore without making it too crazy of a fortress.
    The Horde in Warcraft 2 also utilized sea turtles for naval combat, while the Alliance had submarines.

So, I kinda agree - naval warfare potential should be bigger than in LTA/LTF.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Onyx

Onyx GrimmHeart Darksbane

Ratings:
    +620 / 17 / -60
    I never thought of W2 naval combat mechanics, and it would indeed be great if we could have a use of thoses ideas
    But for thoses, we need models and I don't remember seeing sea turtles models on THW or any other ressouces websites that I checked

About DG/Red : I think that when DG goes some ship mastery path, it would force red to do so as well to not get overwhelmed on the sea
    And Garrosh path for red looks like a good thing to get heavy battle ships (thx to goblin prince or something)

Garrosh enslaved krakens ? Didn't know that

Or, if red doesn't always go garrosh path he would still need some heavy sea support
    I'm thinking of yellow, I've just read that he got a naval aura around his capital
    So if red doesn't go this path, it should allow yellow to make some kind of close alliance with goblins (as part of the horde)

If I can be of any help about models, tell me I can look at some different websites
    There are parts on THW that hides some damn pretty models
    And btw, I'm actually thinking about the W2 ressources on it and there might have a model for sea turtle
    Gimme a sec, I will edit this post if I find it
  3. spinel

spinel Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 8 / -10
    The transport, frigates and battleships are all the same for all factions... very much like vanila ships i always like AW: Catas special ship idea for all factions. So its not complete and it wont be completed for release version but one day, every faction will have a special ship and some even more special ships to chose from and it will depend on path, they chose. Like the True Horde (second tier) for example will have oportunity to build advanced battleship, that will reflect the status of Garroshes "industrial Horde". Alliance will have Gunships, Trolls have Zandalari destroyes with Multishot ability and so on...
    I am not a fan of Turtles and such :D but we are aiming to have special unit, that fit the faction. :-)

As i said above. I dont want any water elementals (maybe a sea monster Garrosh used to attack Varians fleet but thats gonna be a demi) and any crazy things.

DG has somethink like a ship mastery... he can research Zeppelins so he can use them and once he goes Stormwinds allies faction progress, he gains boost to his ships. Also the SKyfire and Alliance gunships will be a thing. Sadly Skyfire wont be available in release version but its gonna be first event, DG will get :-)

Also yeah, Garrosh enslaved Kraken :D and i want to use it some point.

But dont worry about the Naval aspect of game. Legion already has a naval Demi hero and Theramore will be able to get one as well. Plus, Naga will propably be able to enslave Ozumath at some point but that wasnt even being discussed so... i dont see that coming any time soon.
    Overaly, yes. I like idea of Sea battles but i want to avoid Sea CPs.

EDIT.: Also, sry for not posting next faction thread... i am super busy but i hope its gonna be today. :-) It will be Orange.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Onyx

Ratings:
    +620 / 17 / -60
    Never talked about sea cps, the way it has been done in Genesis doesn't make it .... enjoyable to make/play

And someone spoke about Kraken ? :p
    http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=108114

Edit : I've finally found what I wanted !
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/resource-pack-version-1-6.195143/
    And oh wait ? Goblin War Turtle :D
    There's also a fuckton of my nice models/icons
    For thoses who didn't know : enjoy !
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  5. spinel

spinel Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 8 / -10
    :D that model is kinda cute... i am not sure if i want to add it as a weapon of mass destruction.
    These are nice models, thx for link. I am not sure if we will use them but its always amazing to know about them.
  6. EmperorFawful

Ratings:
    +3,009 / 29 / -106
    The Juggernaut model looks pretty Iron-Horde-ish on what Onyx linked with the second link.

As for the WoW Kraken itself, I would rather use the Snap Dragon model, scaled up, given that WoW Kraken barely share simililarities with the actual ones.
    [​IMG]
    Though I'm aware that they also included squid-like Kraken as well during Cataclysm, starting with Ozumat, making things even more confusing:
    [​IMG]

So... I guess the editing team can pobably interpret which version they appreciate more. ^^
  7. Onyx

Ratings:
    +620 / 17 / -60
    Yea the jugg was pretty nice, but if you want a complete set of Iron Horde buildings
    I am gonna lead you to the BEST Orcish buildings models that have ever been made :
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/ujimasa-hojos-resources-discussion.243990/page-42#post-2664592
    And there, the juggernaught is 10 times better
    Only the Summoning Circle kind of sucks though

Also those buildings models with the Tauer/Mister_Haudrauf units models/icons fit really well
    And this combine makes the best horde race you could ever make

I'm using those models a lot on maps that I never finish

Edit : Go check the other buildings set at the first page of the conversation
    • This This x 1
  8. EmperorFawful

Ratings:
    +3,009 / 29 / -106
    Yeah, Ujimasa Hojo's models are top quality stuff - I also remember these, but assume that Harald and spinel are aware of these as well - at least Harald has to be, I guess, if I remember some TS talks correctly.
    Would use these as well, if I ever finish a map project.
  9. Onyx

Ratings:
    +620 / 17 / -60
    Every map maker should be aware of theses
    I've never seen his illidari models used on any maps, sad thing

Last project I was making with thoses models was a 1v1 alternate melee map
    Human Vs Horde with the characters that survived of the second war, and are in the book "Beyond the Dark Portal"
    With Teron/Ner'zhul/Grom/Kargath for the Horde Vs Kadgar/Danath/Alleria/Turalyon for the Alliance
    If I finish it someday I might consider introduce it on the forum

Edit : @spinel if you want me to seach models for you tell me
    I got plenty in reserve :p
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  10. spinel

spinel Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,507 / 8 / -10
    I know these very well. Sadl ythe summoning circle and barracks are only models we use :D For Twilights Hammer now and Grommash Hold but i expect more of these in second tier of True Horde.
    Dont even talk about models from unfinished projects :D i have tons of those... modified reskins, models, icons some unigue models i requested from people for project i was working on before this whole KTA madness started :D You can always sugest new ones but i dont want to go crazy about it.

Of course i know about them :-) We are curently using basicaly whole Arcane buildingset retextured with my Skin for New Dalaran and Nightborne.

I cant give any promises... i dont want to import whole set just for one factionpath. :( Same for Gilneas Brigade... everyone knows my obssesion with Gilneas but its just not very fair to put whole building set for a faction just because i want to see it :D

I am mostly doing templates i never use :D maybe in some melee just for myself for fun.
    I may give it to comunity at some point as well but... these are very clumsy times. :(
    • Like Like x 1