1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kalimdor: the Aftermath - Introduction Thread

Discussion in 'Kalimdor: the Aftermath' started by spinel, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Excalibur

Excalibur

Ratings:
    +77 / 4 / -2
    This is really great, I am waiting for the first test.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Bram51warcraft

Bram51warcraft Lore Nerd Brigand Map Maker

Ratings:
    +467 / 22 / -42
    @spinel
    I was actualy realy excited for the fact to have a support / DPS Hydromancer Hero. You know like 2 of the heroes that where in that list.
    I don't think we've ever had an Hydromancer hero in all the aftermaths.

Q: Summon sea elemental W: Soothing waters (aeo heal) Q Crushing Wave Ult : Tsunami?
    Still thank you for showing the obivous elf bias here and if she proves an interesting hero i'll be happy.

Also Why is Averold a demi? We don't even see him in warcraft 3 he's just a wow character that appratnyl was there. I woul prefer Captain Thorbyn as a demi.

Or even Lieutenant Benedict the one in Tiragarde keep but why the hell Averold?

But for the love of god if its just another bland copy of a ranger from siege of quel'thalas i'm going to be serious dissapointed!
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  3. TheKaldorei

TheKaldorei Shaman of UOS Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,280 / 83 / -200
    uldaman is in EK
    your talking about uldum right?
    finnal is non-canon
    nightborne and highborne are two completly different races, make eldrethalas neutral and give nightborne first arcanist thalyressa
  4. spinel

spinel Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,430 / 8 / -11
    Well... almost every caster hero is water based (at least those based on W3 Archmages), (Blizzard, Water elementals) but i see your point. Truth is that Tidemistress Athisa of naga does not have Naga witch based skillset and her spells are mostly water based like you sugested for Hydromancer
    Hydromancer is starting elite for Light Blue right now btw.

We dont have any demis now... it will be most likely the last think in development. I propably copied the wrong one. I was thinking about guy who was leading Tirasian forces in Durotar during Vanila wow.
    I dont remember her skillset for sure but i think that there is Q) AoE based on Arcane barrage, W) some improved auto atack, E) cant remember now, R) based on AnubAraks ultimate.
    I will talk about it with Forsaken and Harald but no promises.

Yes, sry... it all sounds the same.
    Dark iron and Bronzbeards are two diferent races as well... i am sry but you are still repeating the same.
    They will have to chose which one to focus one. Legion path removed EldreThalas and makes Elisande reviable, Night Elven path removes Elisande and put in Mordent Evenshade... and so on.
  5. Manetho

Manetho The Senate of The New Order

Ratings:
    +2,343 / 81 / -131
    That would be if they Stay that way, but quillboars could ally orange if he gets kicked out of Thor horde
    Quillboars could also become slaves of the live king and as time progresses get more and more Undead forced
    Quillboars have a huge influence on the continent of kalimdor, they are all over the place and the research campaign made them a threat
    As Krotos said quillboars can get centaurs and harpies if they don't become the Scourge and get additional, which lore wise cannot compete with the old gods, true, but I am sure you are overestimating eldre thalas in that area too
  6. ilusioner

ilusioner Cause things shall proceed as foreseen Map Maker

Ratings:
    +623 / 2 / -9
    Why do I have to keep being 'that' guy :|

Before I begin, don't get me wrong, I'm not anywhere near against this map or I'm saying that it's bad or something. It's obvious that you've done tons of work on this map, and I'm glad to see a new RTS map coming out.

However.

A lot of people come here and focus on lore tads and bits, say that this faction shouldn't even be here, that the hero is wrongly named, that the hero is in wrong faction. Meh, fine, if that is what is most important in game for you, then so be it. I believe that what defines the game is the gameplay, the units, the battles, as that's why I play, not due to lore. So my post will be more directed towards that. As long as you are not bringing swords vs guns lore or something crazy like that I'm fine with it.

From what I can see (And I could be gravely mistaken, as I only see bits of information, not the whole map, it's units), or rather the information you've provided, is that this map is going to follow exactly the same scheme of LTA. It's going to simply happen on different terrain, different lore and different names and models.

What exactly do I mean by that?

For example the factions information you've provided us, I can see that the factions aren't going to be anywhere near unique. (Atleast to me) Your way of defining factions is 'This faction is going to be strong on navy and front liners, this faction is going to have strong casters but weak front line, this faction...'. Exactly the same is at LTA, and I believe it's kinda outdated, and can be created to become much, much more interesting. If you are defining the faction uniquity, or making the faction unique by giving it 3-4 casters and weaker frontliners (Compared to other factions) then I believe something is wrong here, and it's no where near unique to me.

I do understand that you are trying to make the factions kinda support each other like, I have stronger backline, while my ally has stronger frontline, so let him spam frontliners, while I'll do the backline (In a nutshell). Alright, I get it, but I don't see anything that much interesting at all.

What I was more looking into was for example special mechanic for night elves:
    During the night, their abilities are empowered, they regenerate mana and can use it for special abilities (while during the day their mana doesn't regenerate), they can move while being invisible for a short time, or when next to trees they can become invisible, or they can move through trees (If the terrain is actually allow to give this factor any power at all), or can use other stuff.

That is what in my opinion makes factions unique compared to others, not me having stronger archers and weaker front liners.

Aside from that, I hope you are limiting AoE spells to minimum, and it won' be as horrible as it is sometimes in LTA, where alliance people just throw AoEs and battle ends in seconds.

I realize that I can be mistaken here, and that the factions are actually more unqiue than what I 'ranted' here about, but you simply haven't put that out in information. If so then I'm glad that you have thought about it and ensured that this game will be different and unique from LTA. Else than that, by no means I want to discourage you, rather the opposite, I want the map to be as succesful as it can be, that's why I'm posting here those important factors.
    • Like Like x 3
    • This This x 2
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  7. Vidovit

Vidovit Basileus Brigand Donator Harbinger of L:TA

Ratings:
    +969 / 5 / -23
    Agreed with this though. I assume not everything is mentioned but it would be good for druids to have content without betrayal, otherwise they will betray each game due to no content.

Also agreed with Ilusioner about mechanics, the night elf one sounds cool. As well as the AoEs.
    We don't want no cd hero squal play but armies fighting with white damage and having time to position/select one unit etc..
  8. qlaeuen

qlaeuen

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -7
    Q: Does Al'akir will appear? If does,I hope it will be demi-god tier hero for purple or red(Thrall Shaman path).
    Q: Does legion starts on Stormheim?

Maybe when red or orange reach Highmountain,they can receive Highmountain tribe tauren units there.
    I think Alliance Force(Theramore & Kul'tiras)can receive Odyn and Valarjar force when reach stormheim
    • Like Like x 1
  9. spinel

spinel Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,430 / 8 / -11
    I like what you say... i mean who does not? Its amazing idea and it would make the game more unique. I hope i will cover some parts of thes "custom mechanics already" Thse amazing things are nice and very atractive but makes much more variables for balance. We would like to give some "new" mechanics to the game but we want to start slowly.
    Do you remember what i said for Horde? The choices between Orange and Yellow...
    There is requirement for Ogre units "Horde must be lead by strong Warchief" that makes some units unavailable once Garrosh is not chosen but it will in future make those unit available once the Darkspear rebelion crush Orgrimmar and name Voljin Warchief of the Horde. Its much more complicated but this is just example.
    Thats pretty unique gameplay isnt it?
    Your Night elven sugestion is nice, i like it. I dont know how to do it to make it interesting but i am sure that we could do it somehow and therafore we may do it. Maybe we will... to be honest i never think about somethink like this... thats the reason why we decided to anounce the map so early. We are already changing the Nighborne to more unique way (yes you won @TheKaldorei )
    And there is small more like Nightwell being required for special spells like suramar defense and portal mechanic...

Yes, thats the thing we are focusing. The armies... the legion will not have godlike hero at all and we want to make as few godlike heroes as possible.

Yes, he will (but not sure if in release vesion :( )
    Alliance will have some cool content in Stormheim... dont wanna spoil (not sure if in release version, but pieces of it are already in map)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. ilusioner

ilusioner Cause things shall proceed as foreseen Map Maker

Ratings:
    +623 / 2 / -9
    Spinel, please, don't hide the lack of custom mechanics with balance reasons. Almost everything can be reasonable balanced. You just have to sit down and think about it. It takes time, ofcourse, but it's a question that you should've made earlier. Do I want to spend more time on it, but make it more interesting or go the easy way. If you want to focus on such custom mechanics later on, it's up to you.

As for your Horde example, sorry mate, it's nowhere near unique. It's simply a faction path or research that enables one kind of units/disables others, or replaces your units. Tell me how's that unique? I've seen that in so many games, it doesn't make the faction anywhere unique, as other factions also will have the option to swap some of their units or enable some/disable some.

It would be interesting or unique IF for example Ogre were having a rage mechanic, where they can use mana as special resource, that can be generated via taking damage or dealing damage. It would be unique if the ogres had something to make them stand out of the unit composition aside from model, name, stronger stats and I don't know what cleave? No idea what kind of spells you want to give them. But giving a unit with different name, model, stronger or weaker stats, different abilities (That we've seen in almost every game) is not unique mate.

If it is unique for you, then we have a different meaning of unique. That's alright, I've simply played so many wc3 RTS, that it it might be just me fed up with all those mechanics that I see in every game.

The example for night elven units was taken from CoV map, where one of the factions is heavily dependant, or rather much stronger at night, binding it somehow to day-night cycle. There are honestly hundreds of unique mechanincs that you can apply if you are willing to spend time on it.