1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L:TA Balance thread

Discussion in 'Lordaeron: The Aftermath' started by somefaggot, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

Ratings:
    +268 / 6 / -12
    Because this site doesn't have one.
    Not going to put anything in this post right now but its an incentive to create discussion.
  2. Vidovit

Vidovit Basileus Brigand Donator Harbinger of L:TA

Ratings:
    +1,040 / 6 / -23
    Get an avatar :D
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. ChickenNoodles The2nd

ChickenNoodles The2nd UoS supreme Clan

Ratings:
    +171 / 11 / -29
    Make sure times change
    • This This x 1
  4. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

Ratings:
    +268 / 6 / -12

Anyway, although I'm too lazy to go into detail, a few things that I believe should be somewhat considered are:

- The mounted units on DG/Yellow, and other things such as Kodos/Ogres. Having those superior units stick out whose only "downside" is being limited isn't something I'm a fan of that much. Instead, they should be somewhat reworked, alongside the current changes to Footmen tier units, so that they're a viable choice but not superior in every way. I think this is a good time to attempt this change, as there's a current focus on making Footmen tier units useful. Another way to balance them would be gold costs, which somewhat goes into my next point.

-More extreme differences in gold cost. Currently, the cost differences between certain units are very minor, and due to the fact that there isn't a sort of gold sink, Bear riders would need their costs doubled so that a player has to choose between which he is going to build. However, due to the above mentioned issue this is hard to balance, and will more likely result in one unit getting favored over the other no matter what, so the best choice would be to try and apply different design philosophies to each unit and make all of them have their own strengths and weaknesses, and give the players the choice on how to build his armies. This is something that AWLR does really well in most cases (RIP blues everything), and it leads to more interesting fights.

-Significantly larger gold costs for upgrades (and possibly buildings/items as well). Currently, most upgrades cost less than 200 gold, and I don't believe there are any that cost more than 300 (not counting generic upgrades). If you can get all your upgrades in the first few minutes of the game, then there is no strategic choice in what you will upgrade and thus it loses a possible gold sink. And by "significantly" I do mean significantly. Make tier 1 caster upgrades around 200, tier 2 300. Make most AVs or subfaction choices (that aren't alliance related, ie Helf/Draenai Alliance) have a minimum cost of 500, make it so every other upgrade has a minimum cost of 250, preferably more varying on upgrade (Magic Sentry should be 250, storm hammers/holy arrows 350 etc...) and make all insignificant buffs more significant, like Improved Bows and such (any by more significant I mean a LOT more significant). Making some upgrades like Animal War training very expensive but increasing their effectiveness would be good too, and DGs upgrades need a massive facelift. Obviously, none of these values should be over-considered, as I'm trying to give a general gist of what I think the costs should be more than anything.
    Although a small increase in starting resources across the board might end up being needed to make the early game more interesting.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Darth Mbites

Darth Mbites Stoned Eurofag Map Maker

Ratings:
    +834 / 33 / -48
    Make sure that balance changes.
  6. Vidovit

Vidovit Basileus Brigand Donator Harbinger of L:TA

Ratings:
    +1,040 / 6 / -23
    We need to nerf Fosaken gold income..
    Ok they get no enemies but they get 20 cps for free. Now i know it's in a bad position and that everybody attacks them but if they join Horde and Trolls that are decent then they don't have to worry that much..
    If they meet no opposition they basically stash all their gold for updates and get 6/6 really fast or 6/0 even faster.
    They need an enemy.. On the other hand i feel they are really vulnerable to rushes.. so maybe when they join Horde then Horde get's some grunts there to help them defend..Possibly a small Horde base..
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Cynicaldoubt

Cynicaldoubt Beekeeper Extraordinaire Brigand Donator Legend

Ratings:
    +2,785 / 32 / -69
    Agreed, the gold reward for capturing Gilneas should also be severely reduced if the Forsaken capture it from ND or Dalaran Remnants, who may not even try to defend it. Worgen on the other hand will fight tooth and claw to save it.

I would suggest that the CPs in Dalaran Dungeons also have their gold output reduced.
  8. NikolaT.

NikolaT. the rightful King of Scotland Brigand

Ratings:
    +1,858 / 25 / -213
    this might sound like to much but if free win trolls (jinthalor focus) would fight free win forsakeen we would probably solve the free win problem then again it would probably give scourge to much time building up.

i actually hope for the removal of dalaran dungeons to some point, right now it just makes sieging outland a huge pain

also i suggest finaly doing something about dragomaw i havent seen them win 1.28 a single time, 90% of the timei just see them runnin garround in boats
  9. Nalesean

Nalesean Communism has never been tried Brigand Donator Legend

Ratings:
    +1,340 / 9 / -29
    I actually tried forsaken a while ago, and while I understood that players who are more used to the race can naturally get alot more out of it, I did not at all find the income or the race op. Quite the opposite I felt forsaken was rather weak, mostly due to the lack of dispel (seriously?? solo race??), and generally boring mass range composition.
    Purple went worgen in this particular game, and we had quite a hard fight that I did manage to win, but it also left both of us quite exhausted in terms of resources, upgrades and army size. Shortly after Gilneas was captured blue came along with superior upgrades and a much larger army, not to mention a viable answer to my magic shield (free dispels on destroys), where as I didnt have any way of removing his. Add the arial advantage and superior front line to that and I was quite swiftly removed from the game. Sure a relatively high leveled Sylvanas remained, but Ive never been into sculkin around with hero squads.

Now I realize that if purple decides to go ND and doesnt defend gilneas at all, things can look very different, with undisturbed lumber operations. But even so, I do not think forsaken has a very powerfull compositon at all, I cant immagine them standing up solo to a decent gray + blue, not to mention the alliance. And if they receive even defencive resistance early on they are in a vulnerable position, thusly I do not think they deserve a hit with the nerfhammer.

The income from gilneas could be nerfed I guess, since a fast gilneas implies lack of resistance from purple.

Edit: I didnt betray legion, cynical pointed out that wouldve given me apothocaries.
    • What? What? x 1
    Last edited: May 3, 2015
  10. Cynicaldoubt

Cynicaldoubt Beekeeper Extraordinaire Brigand Donator Legend

Ratings:
    +2,785 / 32 / -69
    Forsaken have a dispell on their Apothecaries?
    Devour magic no longer works on AMS I believe.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.