1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lord of the Rings x LTA = ?

Discussion in 'Custom Projects' started by B-Roy7, Mar 30, 2018.

1. B-Roy7

B-Roy7 Nostalgic

Hello all,
    I would like to take this opportunity to introduce a map I am currently working on. It is a Lord of the Rings map styled after LTA, one of the greatest games on WC3, the terrain is roughly finished along with some units and heroes. This map will be based off the books rather than the movies and also a few LOTR games I have played. However, the picture I painted in my head will not be complete until patch 1.29 comes out due to the additional features it brings to the editor.

So far this is what I have come up with
    Good team:
    Dunedain remnants
    Gondor
    Rohan
    Dwarves
    Mirkwood Elves (and Lothlorien)
    High Elves (Rivendell and Grey Havens)
    Istrai (and good nature forces of Middle Earth)

Evil Team:
    Sauron
    Saurons Servents (Evil nature forces of Middle Earth)
    Easterlings
    Harad
    Misty Mountain Orcs
    Northern Orcs (Mt. Gundabad, Angmar, Mt. Gram)
    The White Hand of Saruman

This game will be all about the One Ring, each faction will have a hero that can wield it if they so choose, however if you choose to wield the One Ring your allies will not follow you and you will be alone. The goal of good team is to destroy the One Ring and the goal of Evil team is to conquer Middle Earth. Most factions will start out utterly alone and have opportunities to unite to make it a 7v7 battle. Vision will be of vital importance as well because you will not be able to see beyond the reach of your own units, you will not have vision of your allies, just like in the Battle at Pelennor fields they didn't know Erebor was under siege. This is where the Beacons and other notifying elements including scouts and wards will come into play. Each Faction will have opportunities for extra income. For example: elven citizens can travel to docks and flee Middle Earth, Corsairs of Umbar pillaging coastlines or Orcs transporting enemy units to torture camps. Orcs will see better at night and humans will see better during the day. Just a few events: Aragorn travels to Rivendell and forges Anduril, Gollum can be found and will divulge information of the Ring's whereabouts, Dwarves can reclaim Moria and the Witch King can destroy the gates of Minas Tirith.

I was hoping to use this down time to brainstorm ideas, and see what you as a community thinks. Please share any ideas form anything LOTR you have seen or played! I look forward to discussing and implementing your ideas. For more info message me.
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Thebig061

Thebig061 Assasin

Sounds interesting.
  3. Zerwikaptur

Zerwikaptur White Knight Brigand Donator

So I could take White Hand, find ring, go solo, invade Mordor and establish my dominance as the evil boys no. 1?

Neat.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Spampolice

Spampolice The Soulflayer Shaman

I mean, hey. Maps are great, Lord of the Rings is great. What do you mean by "styled after LTA", tho, if you'd like to elaborate on it. Sandbox-ish levels of paths and events? :eek:
  5. Arlt

Arlt High King Website Admin

Sounds like a big challenge. Best of luck!
    Also, can you post some screenshots? :p
  6. Arreone

Arreone

no Dale =sukz
    JK JK best of luck mon ^^
    but if its as lta then drop whole fellowship aspect and make it as lta coz fellowship/nazgul/istari factions will be cancer incarnated
    and making it gve will lead it into ltf way and we all know that ltf sucks hard compared to lta so i propose such teams
    Gondor+rohan
    Dale+dwarves
    sindar+noldorin and teleri (rivendell is too small to be whole faction combining it with havens will be better)
    Easterlings+mordor+harad
    dunedain starting solo then might ally gondor via aragorn king or elves via fafking Elrond daughter(we all know what denethor thinks of line of old kings :D )
    goblins of mm and gundabad + isengard (saruman really wanted to betray sauron anyway)
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  7. Spampolice

Spampolice The Soulflayer Shaman

I mean, no. LTF and LTA are great, for different reasons. And no matter which he draws inspiration from, it'll probably end up interesting at the very least. The teams starting out as gve with possible transistion into several minor teams, ( for example, human supremacy / elven supremacy, galadriel going fuckoff mad with the ring, Saruman betraying, some sorta nazgul path, who knows. ) would be preddy good too.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

Actually sounds quite interesting. Specially not having vision of your allies but I wonder how will that work? Is that actually gonna be effective? I mean your allies will just type in chat where they are. IF not they'll just talk in discord and people not on discord will be at a huge disadvantage.

Don't see much point to the whoever who is bearing the ring being alone? I mean how is that gonna work? You can go solo mode if you are bearing the ring? that ring must be OP AF then. Need more details on how its gonna work. How do you win if you are solo?

Please limit or avoid the betrayals and shit like that cause it will break the map with imbalance and will be a huge pain.

Also setting up the starting structure of each faction is the most important thing. Say fk the lore in this particular case as balance is more important. So what I mean here is Don't put 2 Evil factions North of the map versing 5 Good factions. Meanwhile having 4 Evil factions south of the map versing 1 good faction. Your map will be LTF style imbalanced and there will be NOTHING you can do to fix it apart from a total a rework which with the current editor's stats it's pretty much impossible.

edit: On last point what I mean is always balance and spread out Evil faction's powers and Good faction's powers and control evenly in the map. Note What I mean tho is not always have like a 1v1 at the corner 2v2 at middle and 3v3 at bottom etc. You can have 1 Evil faction facing 2 good factions at the start or Vice versa. However just have to ensure early game that Evil faction is powerful as those 2 good factions. In the late game their powers can be the same since Late game is gonna be group fights anyways. However still it is better to keep the numbers symmetrical for now. Nobody wants to play the Evil factions who have to 2v5 Early game. Even tho overall balance will be fine, being the poor outnumbered faction will always suck dick.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
  9. Mangros

Mangros Curufinwe

This is the worst scenario for evil team since good will be dominant in the west.Isengard,Misty Mountains and Angmar will be surrounded mostly by the goods (Noldor,Silvan/sindar,Dunedain,Rohan) they are pretty much cornered but however this could change if you can add Rhudaur as a evil faction since they are and they fuck up with rohan mostly.
  10. B-Roy7

B-Roy7 Nostalgic

"I mean, hey. Maps are great, Lord of the Rings is great. What do you mean by "styled after LTA", tho, if you'd like to elaborate on it."
    -I concur, LOTR is my jam. The map will have control points as the main source of income, and not be spawn based. I haven't found a good LOTR game that isn't spawn based, though Ring Wars and BFME are awesome.
    "no Dale =sukz
    but if its as lta then drop whole fellowship aspect and make it as lta coz fellowship/nazgul/istari factions will be cancer incarnated
    and making it gve will lead it into ltf way and we all know that ltf sucks hard compared to lta so i propose such teams"

-Dale will be a part of the Dwarves, though they could be an event for another Human team nothing is set in stone. There will be no fellowship faction, though if all 9 members make it to Rivendell they could get a buff or something. The Nazgul will be under one faction aside from the Witch King, as Sauron's commander he will be reds (Sauron) main hero the rest will go to Black(Evil nature/Sauron's servants) their main outpost will be Dol Guldur. I agree the 9 hero team in other games is too much, and OP (Nazgul in Ring Wars). Most people will start out alone but be able to join to make it GVE. For example Harad can research "Serve the Dark Lord" they will join Sauron and get Mumakill or/or Black Numenorenas and an extra base or something like that.
    "Specially not having vision of your allies but I wonder how will that work? Is that actually gonna be effective?"
    -Not sure how it will work, communication will be important as well as scouting and wards.
    "Don't see much point to the whoever who is bearing the ring being alone? I mean how is that gonna work? You can go solo mode if you are bearing the ring? that ring must be OP AF then. Need more details on how its gonna work. How do you win if you are solo?"
    -Bearing the Ring will not give you superpowers, Frodo was the Ring bearer he didn't (tried not to) use it. Wielding the Ring will make you the most powerful faction due to your hero. Only one Hero will be able wield the ring for each faction. (Denethor for Gondor, Galadriel for elves, ect.) Wielding the ring will be OP AF.

You guys are right about the matchups, it is difficult because Evil controls the south and east and Good will control the West and North. I don't know how it will play out but I thought Gondor will be under the most pressure, Ships from Harad, Mordor and the Easterlings all attacked Gondor in the books. However, giving events to the Easterlings to take Edoras and become the new Horse Lords could help. Same with Aragorn coming south through the paths of the Dead and becoming king making it 2v2 in the south. Other theoretical matchups: Mirkwood elves vs Dol Guldor, Dwarves vs Moria Orcs, North Orcs vs Rivendell/Grey Havens, Istrai can get bases everywhere and help whomever they want. Leaving Sauruman as a wildcard. Its hard to predict the future lol.
    It is going to be very challenging lore wise because there is not much information about the easterlings, Harad, Northern Orcs, Misty Mountain goblins and others in the books. This is where I will put in whatever I think is cool and functions well. Some will have to be based off other LOTR games ived played. For example: the northern orcs will be mainly from LOTR War in the North (where Agandaur is sent by Sauron to reclaim the north). Agandaur will be all about undead so raising the fallen kingdoms of the north (Rhudaur, Arthedain, Carolan) will be on his agenda, I think it would be cool if he could unfreeze Bill, Tom and Bert the Trolls Gandalf turned to stone in The Hobbit. Pretty much anything goes type of thing.