Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marshmalo, Oct 30, 2018.
EHH where is the war of the ancient foremath
p.s)I'm going to cry in the pillow
Isengard is my favourite faction too and Saruman is the best villain, it was really hard designing Isen fortress so I'm glad it looks good.
Regarding the good vs evil divide, I was struggling to find factions to represent the evil team given that I've limited the map area to Rohan and Mirkwood. I was thinking of adding Moria Orcs as a faction but they could potentially be added later on.
This is just about Rohan but I have left enough room to expand it to include Mordor and Gondor but I don't know if that will ever happen. One of the good things about selecting a smaller area of middle earth means that I can show it in greater detail than if I was trying to include all of Middle Earth.
I didnt realise you were such a LOTR buff! Since starting this map I've learn a lot about Tolkiens world and it's really given me a better appreciation of the movies, theres alot of complex and detailed stuff which I had no idea about before I started researching the Lore. Tolkien really is a master story teller.
Eorlingas would be a nice touch so yes I will call the faction by that name.
I'm not sure what to do with Dol'Guldur, 2 players are meant to start there, Khamul and the Witch King. Maybe I will make the Witch King a bonus hero which can be gained later on and having the player start with another Nazgul hero. I didnt realise Dol'guldur was meant to be on a hill, my design is based of how the fortress appears in BFME 1 as I didnt like how they showed it in the Hobbit Movies. Its too late to redesign it now and my terrain will never be 100% accurate sadly.
Edoras is actually quite high up as you can't see the lower level of the hill it sits on in the screenshot. You can see the full design of Edoras below, it sits on 2 hills.
Its funny you should say about about Lorien having a river as I actually have done exactly that you just can't see the Bridges on the screenshot.
lol well there are so many LOTR maps I struggled to find a proper name, and Shadows sounds cool and "mysterious"
Thanks! But I actually think its been awhile since I released any new patches or maps, so I think I am due one
So... Game of Thrones map when?
Seriously Marsh, three screenshots and you already steal other LotR-maps the show, if this hell of a project gets released.
As usual speechless and amazed.
Nice work @Marshmalo; will definitely check it out on release;
BFME 2 also has a good campaign and it covers Mirkwood, Erebor..
For example Erebor is designed like this:
You know, I'm pretty sure I've made a comment identical to this in the last three, or four soon to be released map threads, but hey.
You're basically santa claus, at this stage.
looks godamn stellar, as per usual. 10/10 can't wait to genocide humans/elves.
Jajaja, yes, i know a bit of Lotr lore and Asoiaf one
In history the Witch King never went back to Dol Guldur cause he fought and died in Minas Tirith, but if u want to add him, you could add it as a "late game boost" to Dol Guldur faction. Since in late game (in lore) Dol Guldur sent 2 coordinated attacks agaisnt Lorien and the Mirkwood elves at the same time. This way Kamul could be leading one and the Witch King the other.
Edoras is nice, except that door in right bottom . But doos not in horizontal are a pain in the ass, i was ging to MP u to talk about it .
Idk how is your map, but if you want some suggestions in case u decide to increase the terrain and factions involved, i can tell u some ones that are not the "Gondor and Mordor" of every time, since i saw u wanted to center the area in another spot.
- Elves of Mirkwood. Leaded by Thranduil (and legolas) they live in Northrend Mirkwood from Thranduils Halls (their frostress). They once controled whole Mirkwood and are eager to strike back agaisnt the shadow of Dol Guldur. A mix of light elven units, while Lorien has heavy armour (they had Galadriel and their high elven influence) Mirkwood is full leather and sneaky (they are pure silvan elves). Your current "Mirkwood" faction is a different Kingdom: Lothlorien. But u can keep both together to safe faction slots and give the player the option to focus in heavy untis (lorien) or light units (mirkwood) as u did in ur LTF map with high elves.
- Erebor and Dale. The dwarves of Erebor have been in symbiosis with the humans of Dale for tons of years. They lived together, they traded together, they defended together, and they died together against Smaug. Now, the dwarves have recovered the mountain once again and the humans have killed Smaug and rebuilt Dale, they are weak, but are ready to prosper again... If the Easterlings dont avoid it! A mix of heavy dwarves and light and archer humans. They should be the main enemy of Easterlings (already ingame).
- Vale of Anduin. The vale of anduin is the home of lots of human tribes and small realms, it was once the most populated human area in the Middle Earth, with the Eotheod protecting it from any goblin or orc that could dare to invade it. But as the Eotheod were overpopulated and eager of bigger threats, great part of them left the area to help Gondor and become the Eorlingas. But some of them remainded there, and the Eotheod, together with the woodsmen of Mirkwood, the skinchangers of Beorn and even some hobbits will fight to protect the vale from goblins of the misty mountains and the dark of Mirkwood. (you have heroes to chose: beorn, Radagast,... And also cities to set as bases or fortress: Rhosgobel, Framsburg, The Carrock...).
- Orcs of the Misty Mountains. These orcs, leaving in north misty mountains and grey mountains, live around Mount Gundabad, once the birthplace of dwarves. They have attacked Dwarves and Humans for centuries, pushing the Dwarves out of the Halls of Durin in the Gray Mountains and forcing tons of humans leave the Vale of Anduin. Now, with the dwarves weaked by Smaug and the humans being few in number due to the fundation of Rohan, they are ready to launch a final attack on the former lands of Rhovanion to sack and destroy everything. (Fortress as Goblin Town, seen in the Hobbit; Durins Halls or Gundabad. Bolg as hero, or Great Goblin).
- Goblins of Moria. A part of the Orcs of the Misty mountains invaded Moria long time ago, living deep in the roots of the Earth, they became smaller, darker and meaner. When Balin tried to reconquer Moria for the dwarves, they killed him and all his colony, leaving no more than bones. Now, the goblins are gathering in the shadows, ready to attack Lorien when the dark lord sauron commands it.
Other options are:
- Shadow of Mirkwood. A bunch of spiders, beasts, ghosts, wolfs, etc. In central mirkwood to help Dol Guldur faction in case u want to split elves in 2.
- Variags of Khand. An easterling faction centered in light cavalry, archers and light infantry; while Easterlings use more heavy armour and chariots.
And if u want to add the south:
- Gondor and Mordor.
- Dol Amroth and Umbar.
- Rangers and Haradrim.
Good luck with the map!
Wow, you truly are the savior of WC3 custom games! I'm glad you decided to make a LOTR game, as you may know i am a huge LOTR fan, it looks magnificent. I am envious of your incredible map making skillz. Super excited to see Helms Deep and the Deeping Coomb! cant wait to hunt some orc
Well I would just suggest if the mordor forces are in dol guldur it should be Khamul the easterling and not the witch king
@Marshmalo Also since Isenguard isn't actually directly owned by Sauron!
The proper name for it would be the Dominion of Isengarde and not the shadow of isengard
Also will you be using saruman's movie army or book army
ya know one is purply uruk-hai while the others are uruk-hai half-orcs dunlendings and so on
Dunlendings also appeared in the movie, even though it was solely one scene. So they were definitly a thing as well in the movies.
Yeah But I mean at the siege of helmsdeep