1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LTF Official Bug Report Thread

Discussion in 'Lordaeron: The Foremath' started by Marshmalo, Sep 8, 2016.

1. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 14 / -38
    Rise of a realm is also crashing ?
    The game we played has no crashes as far as I can remember, I disconnected, but it was an internet issue.
    At this point, I'm pretty sure that the main issue is the large number of units a map has that makes it unstable. I don't think Rise of a Realm is affected by this problem since the different kingdom types share mostly the same units.
    • This This x 1
  2. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

Ratings:
    +641 / 14 / -54
    Azeroth Wars still has not crashed once yet. FvG also has a lot of units but still no crashes. I don't think number of units have anything do with crashes. They cause unit lag yes but no crashes unless your PC is a toaster.
    I'm not sure if it's big maps that are necessary the problem but rather Blizzard causing issues with some triggers this patch or those triggers not becoming compatible with new patch and causing leaks this patch where they usually wouldn't last patch. For example TD maps are even being affected by this:
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20763846387

On the other hand I have to give LTA some credit, The most crashes I have seen where the Jenkins crash both on stream and for myself. IK this is Blizzard related as the error at top says. However I don't know if only Blizzard can fix it or can the map makers do something about it. I have attached Text Error document, maybe someone on hive can understand what is going on?

However tho I gotta say LTF on has been completely broken. Not just with Jenkins error but mass crashes. It is quite common to have people crash at the start of the game. and also quite common to have everyone crash some point in the game. LTF has indeed been incredibly unstable. These crashes are definitely related to LTF instability :(
  3. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 14 / -38
    The text you attached is leak related.
    I would go through all the triggers again, I have fixed a bunch of leaks in the latest version I released. But couldn't find more.
    I do still suspect the legion pathing triggers, and it doesn't hurt to disable them for one version. @Yousef could do that.
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • This This x 1
  4. Mesis

Mesis Brigand

Ratings:
    +1,966 / 63 / -138
    In the game we played I crashed and some other guy. Might have to do with something in a new version since I hadn't seen a crash in the first one
  5. Mesis

Mesis Brigand

Ratings:
    +1,966 / 63 / -138
    In the game we played I crashed and some other guy. Might have to do with something in a new version since I hadn't seen a crash in the first one
  6. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

Ratings:
    +3,187 / 12 / -17
    Well if LTF is crashing more than LTA then we can't blame it all on Blizzard updates, unless @SvnmS Has done something different with LTA to speficically decrease the crash rate, if so please tell me what I can do to fix it SvnmS :-)

Unless theres something the editors of LTA have done which targets instability then we have to assume something has bene changed/added to LTF which is increasing the crashes. I don't suppose anyone has tried hosting an old version and seeing whether it also crashes on the latest version of WC3 client?
    If it's more stable then we can assume the crashes are related to the recent updates to LTF.

I'm not trying to pin the blame on Woodenplank, he has done an amazing job as editor and LTA/LTF were already known for their instability, but perhaps some of his changes to make LTF more compatable with the new patch have actually made the game more unstable.

He mentioned he had to rewrite many triggers, it could be that there are some errors. One point that comes to mind is his dislike for the wait trigger function, he published a tutorial on how you should use the wait- ingame seconds function instead:
    http://brigandshaven.net/threads/why-not-to-use-wait-x-seconds-function.4744/

However, a trigger expert on the Hive states that the Wait-ingame seconds actually causes a memory leak. LTF uses ALOT of wait functions, if everyone of these has been replaced with a potentialy leak causing in-game wait then this could be why the map is crashing:
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/memory-leaks.263410/#C15

I'm not really sure where to go with this next as I'm alittle confused about whats been changed in LTF, its hard to pickup a map where someone has left off, especially if that map has a serious crash problem which you do not know the cause. I suppose my first task would have to be to go through all the triggers and replace the ingame wait with a standard wait (not a small task!).
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 14 / -38
    I just read all the triggers over and over and hunted leaks and desyncs and any other thing that can cause a crash.
    There wasn't any single particularly problematic trigger. Every time I did a review, I found a few things, eventually I was rid of most issues.
    LTA still crashes, but I'm not really sure why, my last two reviews didn't yield any particularly large leaks or similar things that can cause crashes.
  8. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

Ratings:
    +3,187 / 12 / -17
    I also did the same with LTF a long time ago, and got rid of any really complex triggers, there was a time, awhile back when people reported that LTF was actually more stable than LTA :D
  9. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 14 / -38
    I could take a look at the LTF triggers and see if I can find any issues if that can help.
  10. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

Ratings:
    +268 / 6 / -12
    Making a unit, in addition to the performance when making it and the data the unit itself takes while existing, it makes a small permanent leak period, of several KB, so it might be the constant making of dummy units and then their deletion

Best option for this I can give you is make a system like this:
    >have an array of permanent dummy units
    >every time a dummy is needed, it will check the array for available dummy units, if there are none will create a new one
    >the taken dummy unit becomes marked as taken
    >move the dummy where needed, make it cast, then when its done, unmark it and remove the ability cast
    SOmething like that, while the implementation is a bit hard to get your head around actually using it is easy as you just call 1 trigger to set DummyUnit = (the dummy unit) and use it then, only issue might be is if the target is invalid for casting the dummys spell in which case you should also have a trigger like this:
    >every 1 minute (or every time gold ticks), check all marked dummy units, see if they are doing anything, if not, unmark them