1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need fresh blood

Discussion in 'Custom Ideas for maps' started by Devolver, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

I disagree man. Yes making a ready copy pasta of AWLR or even LTA shouldn't really take time as you just copy pasta the map and change the values you don't like and maybe add a few units.

However thinking of new mechanics and models is what takes a lot of freaking time. Most map makers are thinking as they are editing. It's not like any map maker has a blue print of their map set in Word and they just data entering it into the editor. Hell even that takes a lot of freaking time with the editor. For example making a trigger that sets units into squads like Total War Warhammer. Even you know exactly what you want, writing that into Trigger editor or JASS monstrosity takes a lot of damned time, specially if are new to it like me. This is all assuming editor is running smoothly.

However tho yes remaking existing triggers doesn't take much time. You can just copy off others and there plenty viable. Even tho hive is a pain to navigate there are still usually a nice person there who points you out to what you want. Still It's true a lot maps need a remake or rework but a map can only truly be successful if it offers a lot of new things. And it takes a lot of time think of new mechanics.

Still even if you are making a Remake, edit or a copy pasta of AWLR. That still takes a reasonable amount of time, precious time you could instead spend ranting on forums!

edit: Btw can someone look at this, It seems really unrealistic to me. I used think the participation rate is at least 90% not 1%. The other 10% being on mobile and not being able to type. So You want me to actually believe there are people who view this forum and not type anything?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1%_rule_(Internet_culture)
  2. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

Seems correct to me. At least from personal experience, I participate in very few of the websites I follow. And in those I participate in, I do so after lurking for some time.
    It certainly depends on the website though, I don't think BH falls into a 90-9-1 ratio, but there certainly are lurkers.
    • This This x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

Your so right, if you want to make a decent map it can take ages and even if you spend forever on a map it can still failt to become popular and people will only play it for afew months before it sinks into oblivion. I know this from personal experience.

And all the issues blizzard created with 1.30 has probabaly put alot of map makers and players off WC3, I actually stops modding completly during this time as I wasnt sure if they would ever be able to fix it.

And 1/10 lurker ratios sounds about right to me, lots of people just come here to see whats going on or for map updates and stuff, they dont always want to participate.
    • This This x 1
    • Have a cookie Have a cookie x 1
  4. Mesis

Mesis Brigand

I am pretty sure the lord of the shadow council @Arlt or any of his minions could provide information on the subject of lurking
  5. Arlt

Arlt the Last Emperor Advisor Legend

Why me? I am innocent I swear!
  6. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

I don't really get it. Like I understand lurking around for patch notes or in some cases shit posts for entertainment. However I don't get why would someone just read through a balance thread or ideas thread which is a quite chunk of forums and just pass through them. Not saying everyone has to comment but even just liking or disagree helps a lot in improvements. Some might argue well only the most experienced and top players should discuss about the game or it's balance but that is totally wrong. A good game is balanced and fun and all levels (Tunnel vision focus on top level balance is why one reason why RTS is dead) and it's not good if the whole forum is filled with die hard fans as they will push for changes that favor themselves without taking account of noobs or the majority.

Still it's weird. There are a bunch of people who are play the maps a lot and are quite talkative about their ideas and opinion of the game in game or sometimes discord but barely show up here.
  7. xXwhiterunerXx

xXwhiterunerXx

I mean how do people even edit nowadays? Are we still stuck with the Blizzard Editor with no way of protecting maps with more than 12 people without breaking the neutral hostile/passive coding?