1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racial traits in TES:I

Discussion in 'The Elder Scrolls: Interregnum' started by Draupne, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Draupne

Draupne Won't get any more fun than what you make yourself Brigand Map Maker

The Elder Scrolls games are famous for the 10 different races one may choose for your character to be during the character creation. As an RPG game, the race you choose will impact your gameplay slightly, as the 10 unique races have slightly different stats, but also each unique spells or abilities to make use of either in combat or somewhere else.

In order to make units feel more unique and interesting, while opening up for potential new strategies, I have attempted to adapt the 10 playable races of Tamriel into traits in my strategy map. Every single unit in the map that falls into the category of one of these 10 races will carry a Racial Trait. These are bonuses that will prove useful for your gameplay in some form. Note that the exact numbers may change during balance and development.

Here are the 10 Racial Traits:
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    Bretons: Dragonskin - Breton units passively take 8% less damage from magic and spells.
    Redguards: Adrenaline Rush - Redguard units have slightly faster movement speed than other units on average
    Orsimer: Berserk - Orcs can activate Berserk, a free autocastable ability to increase their attack speed for a duration

ALDMERI DOMINION
    Altmer: Highborn - Altmer units shred 2 magicka from their enemies with each strike, dealing the erased mana as additional magic damage
    Bosmer: Y'ffre's Endurance - Bosmer units have a 6% chance to either perform a Critical Strike or to Evade an attack
    Khajiit: Night Eye - Khajiit units can passively detect invisible units, and they do not suffer from reduced vision range during the night

EBONHEART PACT
    Dunmer: Ancestor's Wrath - Dunmer units deal 3 additional magic damage to the enemy with each strike, and this extra damage is also applied as splash damage to surrounding enemy units
    Nords: Stalwart - Nord units passively reduce incoming damage from basic attacks by a flat amount of 3.
    Argonians: Histskin - Argonian units are the only type of regular units that inherit a passive health regeneration.

THE EMPIRE
    Imperials: Will of the Empire - Imperial units cost less gold to train, and their training time is drastically shorter than similar units of other races
    • Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  2. Lunelune

Lunelune Known double post Inquisitor, and Heretic caller. Brigand

Bretons: Your army of mages are gonna have a bad time.
    Redguards: Annoying you constantly with their literal hit and run tactics.
    Orsimer: Quick attacks for a period. Don't let them get near your heroes.
    Altmer: Your casters worst nightmare. Ruining both their magicka and their lives.
    Bosmer: If they have RNG with them, they're gonna destroy you.
    Khajiit: Great for scouting your army at night and to catch any invisible units you use to scout with.
    Dunmer: Fightning against your organized and lined up army is like a hot knife through butter (Get it?)
    Nords: They're gonna take longer for you to kill, while giving them more time to kill you. Why won't you die?!
    Argonians: Can run away from a battle and come back with a regenerated army, while yours is only half healed.
    Imperials: The more men in the battle, the bigger the chances there are for you to lose.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  3. Draupne

Racial traits that affect most of your army is obviously a delicate gameplay element that can ruin the game balance unless properly monitored. Therefore I invite you guys to discuss the Racials and tell me what you think will be OP and what seems useless. Does certain factions seem unbalanced? Remember that the different races are not completely unique to the player who plays their country. Nords can train a few Orc units for example, and a lot of the Empire units are actually Bretons.
  4. Robovision

Robovision

I can not say without actually playing the map. Maybe that Breton splash can be OP but without seeing how big armies will be, hp and dmg of units and all mechanisc hard to say.
  5. ilusioner

ilusioner Cause things shall proceed as foreseen Map Maker

Maybe that's simply my twisted view, but I don't see anything interesting and truly unique in those 'racials'. The only thing that is actually tacticly-wise and interesting to see is imperial trait, which would allow you to quickly deploy armies (Depending on actual regular unit train time and imperial unit train time). All of the rest racials (Cept for orsimer's berserk) are just passive abilities that will have very little input into the game. (In current numbers) However increasing numbers will not make it more tactical-wise interesting or sth. Just more powerful like 'Nord units' are more tankier, duh. And? What about it?

I also hope that each of the faction will have different units and unique abilities traits instead of copying the same unit ability set to each faction. From my perspective, what makes stuff tacticly interesting and such, are mechanics that are more powerful when used properly, but can be also countered. For example, cavalry units that will have bonus damage&armor against ranged units, but will take extra damage from melee units. This will enable tactics where encircling and flanking ranged/caster lines with cavalry will be a serious blow, but if enemy puts melee, the cavalry will be shredded/attack twarted. That's just an example of what I see as unique and interesting trait instead of some passives for units.
  6. Draupne

Keep in mind that these passives are not meant to be a hugely impactful thing. Its only meant to reflect the different strengths of Tamriels races, and I dont want the unit's race to determine their value alone. Its just a small bonus, so these passives will do that job nicely.

You are in luck, as the different units and casters etc will all for the most part have unique skillsets. A Breton Battlemage will not have the same abilities as an Argonian Battlemage for example. Neither will a Nord Infantryman neccesarily share the same stats as a Redguard.
  7. ilusioner

It's a pity then. Although it takes time and effort, one could make really interesting traits that will have interesting tactical bonuses, wood elf getting bonus stats/empowered spells/spells enabled when near woods, implementing weather system, which heavily affects on certain areas the performance of units -> allowing some races to be resistant to it aka during heavy rain all ranged units (In certain area that is under rain weather) have lowered damage by X%, whereas argonanias are resistant to it, nords resistant to snow while other races have heaby armor decrease etc.
  8. Draupne

Philosophical difference I suppose. Feels like you think I have to make stuff complex out of principle or something. I am a minimalist at heart, and I think simple solutions often stick better than advanced ones.
    Wc3 players don't neccesarily play maps that have new and interesting mechanics anyway, they often choose maps who make good use of the vanilla stuff. Creating a whole bunch of custom elements is not my forté as I think regular Wc3 spells and effects often do the trick on their own.
    • This This x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ilusioner

Aye, everyone have a different taste when it comes to that.
  10. FruitSalad

FruitSalad

I feel like Khajit passive is kind of weak compared to others, like Imperial or Orsimer ones for exemple