1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rise of a Realm : Kingdom Builder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marshmalo, May 6, 2018.

1. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

ROAR PREVIEW.JPG

Rise of a Realm

By Marshmalo
    [Release date: Out now]
    Link to latest version : https://www.epicwar.com/maps/286953/

MAP SUMMARY: Rise of a Realm (ROAR) is a sandbox base builder/RTS game with a mythological/medieval theme. Players must first choose whether to found a Warrior or Mage Kingdom, then select a King or Queen to lead their Realm to glory.

Players may remember my Viking Settlers map, this is a complete remake of that map where I have removed the mechanics which weren’t working and added many new unique features to make this map stand out from the many other Builder maps.

GAME FEATURES

- CUSTOM DIPLOMACY: Diplomacy plays an important part in ROAR, players an ally through the typical -ally command but also form unique alliances such as trade pacts, which generate passive income that increases the longer the two kingdoms stay allied. There are plans for other diplomatic options such as Threatening an enemy kingdom into submission and military pacts.

- VASSALIZE OR CONQUER: Once you conquer an enemy capital you can chose whether to destroy your enemy or show mercy and Vassalize them, which allows them to live but incorporates their kingdom into yours.

- MULTIPLE RESOURCE OPPORTUNITIES: ROAR uses gold and iron as its main resources, but there are various different ways of gaining these valuable materials. Kingdoms can breed livestock, fish the rivers, capture Iron mine, harvest iron deposits or trade iron for gold and vice versa.

- BUILDABLE WALLS AND GATES: Protect your growing Kingdom by erecting mighty walls and gates, perfect for people wanting to build a mighty and beautiful city.

- COMMANDERS: Most human soldiers and units can be appointed into commanders, which act as secondary heroes to your King or Queen. They can help manage and lead your armies and have improved abilities and stats over their normal unit counterparts.

- LEGENDARY CREATURES: Capture strategic ancient landmarks around the map to summon powerful creatures of legend. The most powerful creature in the whole game is the mighty Dragon, but only the greatest of Kingdoms may wield these ferocious monsters in battle!

- HQ TERRAIN: ROAR uses a selection of beautiful models from WoW alongside custom textures and resources from The Hive which I hope will give the game a “Warcraft 4” vibe. The imports have been compressed so map is around 15-16 MB which is very small for a map with so many high-quality art assets.

HELP REQUEST: This announcement is also a plea for help, the map is currently very prone to crashes. The game can crash ten minutes in or an hour in, I really have no idea what could be causing this so if anyone has advanced knowledge of crash fixing and thinks they can help please message me privately. Assistance will be greatly appreciated!

SCREENSHOTS

ROAR SC 2.JPG
    Warrior Kings: A kingdom founded upon military principles and conquest!
    The Warrior Kings utilize a champions and powerful beasts bred and domesticated for warfare.

ROAR SC 5.JPG
    Mage Kings: A kingdom ruled by a small but elite group of powerful mages and wizards.
    The mage Kings utilize their spells as their first line of defense but can also summon legendary, mystical creatures onto the battlefield.

ROAR SC 1.JPG

ROAR SC 3.JPG

ROAR SC 4.JPG

MODELS:

Fingolfin
    communist_orc
    Cavman
    Mike
    Callahan
    Sellenisko
    Talavaj
    nGy
    Malvodion
    Thrikodius
    Wandering Soul
    Ujimasa Hojo
    General Frank
    Ergius
    DCrimson

TEXTURES:

Daenar7
    GolluM[KoMe]

ICONS:

kola
    NFWar
    PeeKay
    67chrome
    Darkfang
    Sin'dorei300
    Static
    Darkfang
    I3lackDeath
    Sunreaver
    Lockheart
    AL0NE

Please let me know if I have forgotten anyone off the credits list, big thanks to everyone at the hive for help and resources!
    • Like Like x 15
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  2. Spampolice

Spampolice The Whispering God Shaman

well. that was faster than expected.
    woo. Someone fix the crashes, then organize a forum game.
  3. Thebig061

Thebig061 Assasin

I have a question.How big the map will be?
  4. Marshmalo

Well the maps far from finished, but it didnt actually take me that long to make suprisingly, I can work on these smaller maps alot quicker than I could LTA/LTF.

I have now added link to the new map and posted it on The Hive, they have alot of clever trigger minde dpeople there so hopfully someone over there can help :-)

In file size or terrain? map is around 15mb but terrain is about the same size as Viking Settlers, I didnt want to make it any bigger as it decreases the amount of interaction between players if theres huge amounts of terrain between peoples bases.
  5. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

The way to get gold and iron sounds like a copy of my gathering system in "war for britain", nice.

The models looks awesome, idk where did u get them.

That phoenix looks like... Really too big to me :D
  6. Hawk

Hawk The Old Lion Map Maker

Trade kingdom needs to be a type of kingdom, I want to win my way by bribing everyone else, Venice style. :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mesis

Mesis Brigand

Some minor issues:
    Trebuchets able to attack units make an a pretty strong defensive line thanks to their range and basicaly no counter.
    Towers are a bit too weak (compared to walls)

Otherwise pretty similiar to the viking map, amazing terrain and models. Game is maybe a bit slow?
  8. Marshmalo

Oh well the income system is very similiar to Vking Settlers, which has been out for over a year so I defo havnt copied it from your map.

The models I got from Warcraft underground website, it has alot of wow rips there for wc3, its a great site and some beutiful models there.

The phoenix is a HQ model and its an end tier unit for mage kingdoms so its meant to be big. :-)

lol funny you should mention that because that was the original intention of the 3rd kingdom type, I wanted a Kingdom type which was highly progressive and had access to new technologies and stuff, but to make it look and feel unique from the other kingdoms id have to add a lot more custom resources. The map is only 15mb but takes ages to DL on MMH because it limits lobby DL speeds so I dont want to make the file size too big. A trade Kingdom would also mean a lot more complicated triggers, getting the trade alliance was already extremely complicated in itself, s its unlikely I will ever add the trade kingdom.

I agree towers could do with a buff but i don't want to make base defense too easy otherwise it could slow down the game and make sieges longer. Trebs are actually quite vulnerable, we did manage to break through your defensive wall and get to your trebs without taking too many loses.

Thanks and glad you like the terrain! It is similar to viking settlers but much better I think. The major differences are the extra customise-able options like unique elites per hero type and the removal of the clan breeding system which didnt work very well in VS.

I thought the game we just had was alittle slow due to people endless Vassalizing each-other, so no side actually got an advantage. 1 person got vasselised about 5 times lol, maybe I should make it so a player can only be vaselized once or twice.

Anyway thank you to both you and spam for playing and trying out the map! :-)
  9. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

In viking settlers were just mining and autobreed cattle. No the rest of options wich i have in my map. Thats why i tought about it. And talking about it, cattle in this map is like in mine (breeding at farms) or like in viking settlers? I didnt like to have tons of cattle roaming around :/

And btw, i wasnt blaming u for copying my gathering lady, on the contrary, if i could have inspired u somehow to improve odd viking settler economy, im proud of it ^^. And since i like my económic system and ur maps, having one of ur maps with economy similar to mine must be awesome :-)

Warcraft underground? Thanks, i always looked at the hive.

I compared the phoenix with the gryphon of warriors :/

Talking about units, there is more variety and counters than in viking settlers? I liked that map but rosters were really shity
  10. Mesis

Mesis Brigand

@Marshmalo Actually the main defensive line was destroyed by Spam. We were basicaly waging war on each other more or less throughout the whole game, each of us unable to push through due to the mass trebuchets.
    I wouldnt say trebuchets are vulnerable becouse they still have 1000 fortified hp so the most effective was to kill them is with the siege units or other trebuchets but since they outrange them they just get easily destroyed.
    I once run through the hole in the walls with like 50 knights and managed to destroyed only around 2-3 before they got annihilated by the rest of the defences.

The main reason why you relativly easily pushed through my defences is that the I think gryphons have Smoke Cloud which disables them, the Mage faction does not have such a luxury to my knowledge.