1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rise of a Realm : Kingdom Builder

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Marshmalo, May 6, 2018.

1. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

Was the old version wooden send me yeah, havent tested the edited version.
    Dialogue could be fixed
    Run Kitty/Gay Run still has far fewer units than the chickens in RKR
    House management sucks, as someone who played a bit of LOTR maps. You could make it so each house has proximity efficiency based on how close they are to nearby houses (so that its about covering surface rather than just house spam, could be done, with some mathematics and testing) using dark tints as a visual indicator

For wander you could do this:
    >have a continuous group for every players chickens (so you dont need to make it every 60s)
    >every time the turn counter ticks/every 60s, pick each unit, run a 2nd trigger for each that sets picked unit as a local variable, waits a random amount between 20 and 40 seconds, orders it to move once somewhere within 600 units
    For maximum chickenmersion, edit the windmill model, and add chickens with idle animations around the base.

A much more performance smooth alternative would be a bit complicated but is my favorite solution is
    >windmill has a mana pool, has a spell costing iron+mana
    >when cast, will spawn a chicken item on the ground, counting as that players chicken while on the ground.
    >It can be picked up by raiders/workers, (can stack up to say 5), and when dropped will spawn all the chickens for that player in that location.
    >Each item counts as belonging to the one who made it or picked it up and dropped it (unless the carrier unit was killed, in which case it goes to the killer) and only give income if theres a nearby windmill (assigned when a chicken is dropped or created/windmill built or destroyed rather than every turn)
    Its easy to do, and with a simple condition you can do things relating to max chickens/map, chicken economics, maximum chicken windmill efficiency and have more different livestock

Important part is items can be perfectly cleaned up perfectly using a system unlike units and have less performance impact while existing, so this is nice if you just want chickens without wandering. Theres some new natives for modifying item descriptions that I didnt test out, but with em it should be easy to make this work so players can know who owns their chickens. Id combo it with spacial efficiency in houses though, seems most fun.

and if you still want movement:
    >using a ground-dummy system, you can assign each chicken to a temporary dummy (of which there are max 10 on the map) for a few seconds that walks around quickly, and after a few seconds is unassigned, while the dummy goes back into a pool. though having the chickens wander every now and then by a lot instead of a little bit all the time probably looks weird.
  2. Mindleech

Mindleech

Not sure if this is the right thread for this.
    I have a small suggestion regarding the first skill of the Engineer King. Currently it looks kind of "harmless" for what damage it does.
    I worked on a map 8 years ago with a similiar hero and for the grenades it used the demolisher missile which kind of looks more impactful.

Actually found the map is still on the Hive haha
  3. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: Marshmalo.

@Arlt
    @ZeroFlotsie
    mods pls
  4. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

Well maybe managing your chickens isnt actually that funt hen, but what bothers me is how that without "Wander" the chickens just sit there in a neat line, like soldiers, it dosnt look right.

Whats SotDRP? It sounds good so might play that map to get an idea of the gameplay you mention, I like managing villagers and livestock too but I dont want that aspect to dominate the game and take away from the focus of the main game, or make it tedious and boring for the players by giving them repetive tasks they have to perform.

About the necroancer, I've heard various reports and some people even think hes underpowered as his skellies cna be insta dispeled. I guess we will ahve to wait and see what balance is like in this new patch.

And thanks Im really glad you enjoy the map and hopefuly see you online sometime, I will be hosting this on MMH today to test the new stuff! :-)

Oh wow, I appreciate you looking into the various options for wander, they all sound quite complicated though! In 1.11 I have made it so the chickens only ahve wander for the first 30 seconds, then its removed. This just breaks them up abit so tey dont look like their in neat formations.

Its a shame you cant open LTF because thats where I could really do with soem help as the map has major stability problems rght now, but if you cant open it then theres nothing we can do about that.

Regarding ROAR, I think I will leave this map after the next balance patch, I've noticed a decrease in its popularity, I tried to host this last night but no one joined. I think now that the initial interest in the map has died down it may not be worth to continue development. Its definitly never going to be as popular as LTA lol.

lol thats a good suggestion, do you have link to the model of the projectile so I can download and use it? I agree his mortar ability could be more impressive, I will also change it on my Zombie Rising map.

Sorry thats me, not the sites fault, I have it set so I can't recieve PMs so people can be offended when I forget to reply back to them :oops:
  5. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

RoaR was hosted a bit but that stopped because no game went past 30 minutes. LTF, the version I checked was not updated for non-Jass
    send me a convo
  6. RandomPerson

RandomPerson

Hey Marsh,
    just noticed a little something in version 1.11. None of the ensnares from the dragonbane units nor Aerial shackles work on the Rune lord commander (flying hero). Is this intended or something to work out in a next patch?
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Sininu

Sininu Brigand

SotDRP was actually just a roleplay map, so you would spawn in your characters, I would always spawn in villagers and then build beautiful cities while making sure the villagers could enter the houses x3 Just gave me such a satisfaction seeing them run in when they went full ham on my village, which they always did ;-; and then making sure to transport them from house to house, kinda like stratholme (warcraft 3) if you controlled the villagers and didn't want them to die.

I talked with some about the necromancers and what made them really strong was that the skeletons have more hp and damage than a normal soldier, while dispels, sure they counter them, but you only get dispels mid-late game, where the skeletons are way better than anything you got (in terms of soldiers). So I think that, the life drain range and the constant spell shield was what made necromancers so overpowered. If people didn't know how to play necromancers they might not have used the early, strong, advantage necromancers had :9