1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should LTF be released unprotected?

Discussion in 'Lordaeron: The Foremath' started by Marshmalo, Jul 2, 2018.

?

Should LTF be released unprotected?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2018.
  1. Yes

37.9%
  2. No

62.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Awesomeguy

Awesomeguy Im Awesome Brigand

Ratings:
    +205 / 9 / -14
    Great idea in my opinion.
    Its just a map on wc3, whats the worst thing that could happen?
    It can only help the map, if anything.

But I think it should be your own call marshmalo, obviously the majority of the people here would be against this idea, and for a good reason.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

Ratings:
    +641 / 14 / -54
    That would be LTF's imminent death. LTF is still a relatively a new map and at 0.27 is no where near a complete map. No matter how hard Marsh works there will be tons of bugs and balance issues in the final version. People will play for 2-3 months but the bugs/imbalances make the same scenario happen over and over again until even the most die hard fans don't play the game. Look at KTA for example. A New map without frequent updates is a dead map.
    With Azeroth Wars or maybe even LTA that could be possible but still death will come in 5-6 months.
  3. Readywhip

Readywhip

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    Just make it public.

Keeping it private and locked for the sake of the map, s incredibly pretentious. Let people make different versions and have fun with it and use the skins and triggers to improve other maps. The market will decide what version people will host. Someone can come next week and release LTF .28 with less bugs, more balance and more triggers.

Look what happened to all of Panther maps because he didn't make it public.

Release it into the wild. People who are saying "It will be the end of LTF" are overly dramatic and incredibly pretentious. There are other editors, new editors, and people who more time and better computers.

Azeroth Wars LR is still hosted quite a lot and updated frequently.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Talinn

Talinn Map Maker

Ratings:
    +196 / 1 / -0
    AWLR seems easier to edit, but I think releasing the map to the public is still the right move. But probably, only if you are sure you will never come back to it.

Awlr lasted from like maybe 2008 to Jan/Feb 2011, so the community has extended its life by seven and a half plus years. Part of this is the relative ease of editing awlr. It is several times smaller. Also the better health of wc3 in general is a factor, but still...

There are like 20 people that helped edit awlr. People want to help, I think

(I don't really play LTF but i still thought I'd chime in)
    • This This x 1
  5. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

Ratings:
    +3,186 / 12 / -17
    Well I personally would prefer to throw caution to the wind a release map publically, that would be preferable to the map just never being updated, if a bad map maker comes along and releases loads of rubish versions, people can just host the one they prefer.

But the poll so far clearly seems in favor of NOT releasing LTF. I'm not sure what to make of that as it implies the players would prefer the map to stagnate with no updates rather than possibly, having some updates by a randomer. I can understand people being cautious considering the amount of hackers and cheaters we have playing WC, but thats something players have had to put up with anyway as almost every version is hecked anyway.

Maybe people are hoping an experienced will come and save the map, I hope that happens but I doubt it and I will make sure they know what their getting themselves into, I won't just throw it at them like I did with Woodenplank. I don't want people to think I don't care about LTF as I still love this and LTA, I just feel I've given enough time to this map.

I will be taking a break from warcraft for afew weeks. Maybe something will have chnaged and we have a new editor, or even a new WC3 patch which fixes everything. But if not, then when I come back I will release LTF to the public unprotected.

Until then thankyou everyone for giving their feedback and voting, we will see what the situation is in a few weeks.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. SUNSTRIDER

SUNSTRIDER

Ratings:
    +205 / 7 / -22
    I have no idea lol. But I doubt a good but somehow yet unknown editor will just swoop from the shadows and fix LTF into something great :]
  7. Thebig061

Thebig061 Assasin

Ratings:
    +332 / 15 / -42
    Who knows? Miracles do happen.
  8. Fatcat

Fatcat Renegade

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -4
    Does It really matter anymore this Map is the American Dad/Cleveland Show to Family Guy/LTA you might as well let a couple of People create there own Version... Or cancel LTF and start a Starcraft II The Aftermath project.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,558 / 14 / -38
    I support the release of the map publicly.
    Releasing LTF does feel like it might spawn too many maps. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people out there who have their own vision of the perfect LTF and will try to edit the map.
    However, I also think that a lot will eventually give up when they discover the slow object/trigger editor and the map crashes for the n-th time.
    We can trust that the playerbase will selectively kill the bad versions by not playing them. Unless the amount of maps released is so large that it actually drowns the originals, which can happen, but is unlikely, and having the map updated by someone is well worth the risk.
    • Like Like x 2
    • This This x 1
  10. reddragon25

reddragon25

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    As for editors, I have seen many people giving up their hobbies that are likely to this, saying that they will newer return.
    They usually come back after half a year or so, with a significant change of style and renwed ambition to continue but be better at it.
    I hope someone will come back to save this map.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.