1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should LTF be released unprotected?

Discussion in 'Lordaeron: The Foremath' started by Marshmalo, Jul 2, 2018.

?

Should LTF be released unprotected?

Poll closed Jul 16, 2018.
  1. Yes

37.9%
  2. No

62.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuzanandFriends

BuzanandFriends The Sub-par mapmaker. Brigand

Ratings:
    +180 / 20 / -62
    Honestly if you release the map then you'll get people who will most likely look into it for map triggers 'n shit and go off and make their own map...

Like me! Except i already basically have a small team of people to work with for mapmaking... and if i'm driven to create a map styled after yours i'm sure they'll support it and i'll get all the triggers i need, and all the terrain work.

i don't know, obviously it's your map Marsh but if you released it to be open source i'm sure it'd make a lot of people happy, and likely players will maybe wipe the entirety of it to make a empty, large scale map for people to use. (which is something i'd likely do.) I advocate for more open source shit on Warcraft 3, plus if you worry about someone say making their own version and it's not as good or whatever, just know that they have a mountain of laggy work behind them as many devs have complained about, i think.

Then again, you can keep it locked up and just be like "Yeah, no touchies" and leave the map in it's current state, and move on to broader horizons, all you. Plus if people want to they can just crack open LTF and LTA with map unprotectors and all that. So it's like "Mmmmm, yeah"
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  2. charlygon

charlygon

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Hi Marshmalo,

im not sure if the full project should be realesed unprotected or not... but i will love if you can share with the fans a terrain template. Your maps are so beautifull, it will be a sad if they gone lost. I always wanted to try crazy things over them.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Readywhip

Readywhip

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0
    Release the map.

Let new editors see your style and how you make triggers.

This will only create new and better maps.

People that are saying this will kill LTF are being so dramatic. The game is 11 years old. As long as LTF still has updates, it will be hosted.

Or create two versions like Panther used to do back in the day. Some of his GOH maps are impossible to host because you need to enter an admin code within 3 mins of playing
  4. Arreone

Arreone

Ratings:
    +29 / 2 / -2
    i think it would be great source of knowledge for map makers
    i would say relase it but keep rights for legit versions on mmh/ent
    and of course copy of your own that way you will loose nothing and community may actually gain something
    even if good changes wont happen why it would be a bad thing to give it a try?
  5. Djisa

Djisa

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I have been asking for public releases for years. The longer you wait to release maps, the older everyone gets and the less free time other potential mapmakers will have to edit and play Warcraft 3.

While you are at it, could you consider releasing Siege of Quel'thalas as well.
    • This This x 2
  6. BuzanandFriends

BuzanandFriends The Sub-par mapmaker. Brigand

Ratings:
    +180 / 20 / -62
    See now that's some OG motherfuckin wisdom right there.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Fatcat

Fatcat Renegade

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -4
    Really check out the Maps on Starcraft before making a Broad Assumption like that because LTA/LTF/KTA are an Impudent Speck in front of Starcraft SC RS/ SC Expanded/ Campaign and Coop Extension Mods, I played all of those and had a Lot more Fun with It and Balance. Also you can't make Starcraft the Aftermath because the Series is way too Big spanning over Planets not just Two like Warcraft. As for the Hero Thing there are quite a few Zeratul Missions, The Belly of the Beast, Heart of the Swarm, and Ulnar and Aiur in Legacy of the Void all using Heroes and I have seen them with leveling added too added by Players seems like the SC2 Community is doing Better than Warcraft's. Also for the Mods thing SC2 has Extension Mods like the ones I listed. SC2 is worlds better if it Works is my Point. Say what you will I'll most likely be absent for a Duration of time because I'm sure me liking SC2 is going to piss you all off and using that Amon quote about KTA/LTA/LTF is sure to piss you off too. I simply lost Hope in this Map series when Empress Azshara is the only person applying for Editor and KTA is Dead and LTA is getting Old and feeble thus its needs for basically Expansions. Releasing LTF and KTA unprotected is the only Way or do a Starcraft thing,
  8. B-Roy7

B-Roy7 Nostalgic

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    In my humble opinion, LTF should be released to the public (or at least with me ;)). LTF is a treasure trove of triggers and information regarding creating a map. Everything from unit info to abilities to items would be of the utmost assistance to the amateur mapmaker. But mainly the triggers, I have started working basic triggers on my map, and was surprised to find a lack of guides on the internet. Sure, there are a few basic guides out there that do a great job explaining the basics, but the basics dont really cut it. Hive and The Helper are very useful, people on there are superheroes, and have helped me a great deal, i am very grateful. I saw Garfield's Control point income system on Marshmalo's thread and still couldn't get. However, sharing LTF will allow people to dissect the triggers and see how they work, There are so many triggers in there pertinent to making a good map! Lastly even if LTF does die because it cant find an editor, (its a kick-ass map already) it can live on through other similar maps that people have made by implementing the data found from it, or who knows someone could pick it up and add to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Fatcat

Fatcat Renegade

Ratings:
    +21 / 3 / -4
    So many Maps like Loap would be Dead if they weren't released unprotected few other examples like Azeroth Wars and its thousands of different Clones some are crap some are Good. That just might be what happens to the TA/TF Series due to a shortage of Editors on this Site.
  10. GinoFastidio

GinoFastidio The Elf_blademaster's Hunter and sworn enemy

Ratings:
    +83 / 1 / -1
    Release it of course

worst case scenario: bad copies of it pop around,people ignores them> gg

Best case: we get a revival of this genre from people learning from this map

Probable case: Things keep going as usual, map goes down with no patches in popularity untill someone starts making something based on this map.

What's the point into NOT releasing it? we are a small community already, if we lock shit down we might aswell go play fortnite
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.