1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrain Contest Begins now! 17.11 - 1.12

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Harald, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Harald

Harald The Betrayer Shaman Map Maker

As the title says, the terrain contest ofically begins today and will last for two weeks so from the 17.11 - 1.12!
    What location has been chosen? for this time you will terrain ... Stromgarde AND you can choose between ruined or Living version.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1200px-Stromgarde_Keep_BfA.jpg Stromgarde.jpg

We will be judging your final products on the following points:
    - Atmosphere.
    - Creative use of Doodads.
    - Overall aesthetic of the scene.

5 points for each category

On the 2.12 we will begin looking at the final products and use a few days on deciding the winner. We will be posting all of the products so everyone can see people's work
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- The Focus is on the city and inside it's walls but enviroment outside the walls is welcome for the aethestic
    - When you are finished send the screanshoots to Pokemanharald@gmail.com with a title of Terrain Contest: Stromgarde, send both pictures and map file.
    - Custom Models is allowed but not needed if you prefer not to use them.

Good luck everyone!​
    • Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  2. mrpp

mrpp

Wow I will surely gonna try to win. I just hope Marshmalo won't try otherwise I lost :D
  3. RedPandaLT

RedPandaLT Brigand

Of all the places....
  4. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

lol I think Harald might have something to say if a judge enters and awards themself the winning entry :p

It might sound a bit random but we didnt want to go for one of the obvious, well known choices like Lordaeron or Tyrs Hand, Stromgard has a lot of history within the Warcaft World and you can chose between whether you want to represent the ruined or restored side of it.

Here's abit more detail about how we will be awarding points and selecting a winner:

- Atmosphere: What kind of atmosphere and feeling does the scene create? This is where use of fog and light effects come into play as well as the overall color scheme of the picture.
    - Creative use of Doodads: Has a variation of doodads been used and how creatively have they been employed to produce the scene? This is where thoughtful placement and original use of doodads is recognised.
    - Overall aesthetic of the scene: How well do all the facets of the composition come together to form the scene? To what extent does the terrain faithfully represent the target brief?
    • Like Like x 1
    • This This x 1
  5. mrpp

mrpp

I didn't knew that you were one of the judges and btw I was wondering how you imported terrain beacuse I wanna start using new custom terrain but I don't know how?
  6. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

By imported terrain you mean custom tilesets?

Thats very easy you just find the custom tileset you want, the Hive has some you can chose from, then import it into your map using he speficied path and it replaces the standard WC3 tileset.

Example: TerrainArt\Northrend\North_Ice.blp

This replaces the Northrend Ice tilset, custom tileset here:
    https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/natural-winter-ice.310078/
  7. Yousef

Yousef Paladin of the Alliance Brigand Map Maker

Can I use units with Locust ability to make "doodads" with team color?
  8. Onyx

Onyx GrimmHeart Darksbane Shaman

You mean critters? Why would it be forbidden?
    If you wanna make fireflies with wisp model, yellow color and random moves yes ofc you can
    • This This x 1
  9. Yousef

Yousef Paladin of the Alliance Brigand Map Maker

No, I meant a building unit, let's say Town Hall, and give it the Locust ability, that would make it unclickable and invulnerable like a doodad while keeping the team color instead of being black because it's actually a unit.

TLDR; Can I use units?
  10. Onyx

Onyx GrimmHeart Darksbane Shaman

I don't see why it would be forbidden