1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Future of Brigands Haven

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Spampolice, May 10, 2019.

1. Spampolice

Spampolice The Whispering God Shaman

Hey guys, as you're no doubt aware. We've been investing more and more into the joint project that is Warhaven, first and foremost noticeable through our now joint comms on teamspeak which have as a result been considerably more active with next to no negative side-effects. As anticipated, the formerly separate communities that make up Warhaven have integrated very well. This has not only resulted in more games, both inside and outside of WC3 being organized and played organically, but also considerably reduced running costs.

We've formerly been rather clear in our stance that to us, Brigands Haven represents far too much history and legacy to ever consider changing platform. That said, with the website growing harder to use by every day as the outdated software it is ran on remains sorely outdated. With costs remaining high, and donations slowing down considerably, aswell as complications on the Warhaven side of things from running everything out of two forums.. Things are simply becoming unsustainable. To this end, we're entertaining the thought of a new joint forum in the same spirit as we have thus far worked out teamspeak, discord, and games in general.

With a clear intent to keep full transparency through this process, realizing that a great deal of people through the years have to some extent, grown as attached to the website as we have. We intend to present the situation, and request the opinion of the people that use this website on the idea, and explain how it would be ran.

It would be ran by two head-admins, myself and Ske. Rather than the current situation of a singular person of ours having "sort of" control of the website. With a expensive licence constantly threatening to run out, and being reliant on the individual who technically speaking still owns the website, who has since long ago distanced himself from gaming in general. This would still leave us with a pool of admins and general staff twice as big, and a far more easily and accessible administration in general. This would not only make it far easier to access and organize games in the future for the common forum-goer, but also streamline the process we're working on as to allow other communities to join the larger Warhaven one. It would reduce costs by a massive, as the hosting would be local and direct compared to the labyrinthine experience that is technical work on this one. Other than this, we'd both give activity a much-needed boost and have an opportunity to fine-tune the website in aesthetics and functionality both.

All of this said, we fully understand the attachment that some people feel to the brand that is Brigands Haven, and the nostalgia. We are thusly going to be deciding wether we go ahead with this or not based on the opinions put forth by you, the common forum-peon. It is therefore absolutely crucial to us, and this website that you present your opinion however short or long it might be. And, in closing. We'd like to re-assure you that regardless of what is decided there will no matter still be a community doing what we always have been. Playing games, chatting shit, having a good time. All the same people and more, on teamspeak, on discord, on this website or another.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • This This x 2
  2. Krotos

Krotos The Lore Judge. Brigand Map Maker

You can do whatever you want as long as I keep my amount of positive ratings received. /s
    • This This x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Spampolice

We'd be using a similar site, similar enough to export as much data as we can over. So, in theory, probably? Maybe?
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  4. Arlt

Arlt the Last Emperor Advisor Legend

Sure, why not. I would, however, like to finish the history of BotR which I have in the works before we move. Just so I can easily find all the threads I require for my project.
  5. ponasozis

ponasozis SOVIET Angry marine Brigand

Oy vey goyim
    accept the integration of two cultures

joke aside there really isn t much reason to run 2 websites as long as you can integrate all the important data and threads into the new website
    perhaps forums will be active again
    one can only hope
  6. Onyx

Onyx GrimmHeart Darksbane Shaman

I've always pushed to get one website for both since WH was created so yup
    As Arlt said, a complete history of botr would be nice
    But the most important for me on BH are the maps which were edited over the years
    This is 4 years + of Data, and that would suck if that was lost, other than that, absolutly up for it
  7. Spampolice

You best get to work boi.
    I'm honestly not sure exactly how moving all the data would work, but our top serbian engineers and danish techno-mages assure me that it is, in fact, possible.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. EmperorFawful

EmperorFawful Burn it! Website Admin

No problems from my side, as I have kinda lost touch with the community here as well kinda, since I check out the forums sometimes, but well...
    missed probably more stuff. Therefore think it's a good solution. New is always better and refreshing. Therefore, take my blessings. (No one wants your blessings, silly Fawful!)

Also, if you need admin rights regarding the site from me, since I frankly have lost overview who's currently having access to the panel and who has which functions, feel free to tell me. I'll probably allow myself to get fired anyways, since it feels really wrong to just sit on these rights, while I tend to remember the site once in two weeks, being like "Oh yeah, that existed, you used to do stuff here". That's kinda depressing as I should have said months ago, that I step away from my admin position.
    Or maybe a year ago.

I dunno, time passes so quickly.
  9. Skillerino

Skillerino one fool once told me have faith in humanity

As you have said previosly it helps both parties and you will be able to save the most important data then why not all of the positive stuff has been already mentioned so I will just say this. Even if there will be some dissagrements, issues, mistakes it's all part of evolving and moving forward
  10. Lunelune

Lunelune Known double post inquisitor and heretic caller. Brigand

I agree with Emperor. While a lot of us have a lot of history when it comes to BH. A new forum might be refreshing.