1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vanilla 1.29 VS NewGen Editor features spreadsheet

Discussion in 'Map Making' started by Draupne, May 5, 2018.

1. Draupne

Draupne Won't get any more fun than what you make yourself Brigand Map Maker

Hey everyone,

as I continued to edit TES:I yesterday I figured I wanted to try out the new vanilla 1.29 editor as the second hotfix solved some inconveniences about using it compared to the old NewGen editor. The best for all of us is ultimately to give up the old ways and start using the 1.29 editor permanently, yet I still struggle to do so before I am made fully aware of the different features each editor can and can not provide. Custom tile pathability is no longer a 1.29 issue after the nifty tutorial provided by our local homeboy @Woodenplank
    There are other issues that remain, I'm sure, and things I might have taken for granted while editing LTA or simply fooling around in NewGen may no longer be possible in the future with the regular editor. Let's try and break this issue down into fragments.

Could anyyone interested in this topic dump every difference that they know of between NewGen and 1.29? I'd appreciate it.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

The main advantage of New Gen was the limit removal on doodads and units. However, 1.29 has relaxed the constraint on those, so most maps can probably transfer easily.
    Tile pathability is possible on Vanilla 1.29 as you said.
    So the things you'll be missing most are :
    1. Tool Tip editor.
    2. Jass code highlighter.
    3. Some trigger functions that were added by JNPG
    Things you'll gain from moving to 1.29 :
    1. New trigger functions added that weren't available before.
    2. Finally being able to use Hashtables without a lot of pain.

However, before you make the full move to 1.29, open your map, and save it, do it around 5 times to be sure. LTA crashes sometimes when I save. I do not know if this is map dependent or not. But it is the biggest issue. Stay on JNPG as long as you can if you do crash. Otherwise 1.29 is better. Just more of a hassle to do the tooltips.
  3. EmperorFawful

EmperorFawful Burn it! Website Admin

Realized this as well today, while I was amazed that the 1.29 editor pretty much transfered everything correctly (except for one single tower it apparently deleted, but well - will figure out later which one it was as I don't bother about one removed building due to inconvenient tile pathability) - thus I guess my current project can be continiued and maybe even get released with some luck.

Had so far no crashes and I was also able to make the map larger without any problems and without any terrain glitches, thus making me confident.
    Nontheless have a backup on the laptop with the JNGP editor in worst case.
  4. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

Also want to note that using the new Sharpcraft editor allows vertical cliffs, just like the JNG editor does, if your using vanilla editor you won't be able to create vertical cliffs when terraining. And the latest version of Sharpcraft also appears to have removed the limit on doodads, so maps like LTA can be saved.

That would explain why my tests with LTF havnt been very succesfull! Woodenplanks given me a version of LTF which opens in the new world editor but crashes when I try and save.
    I agree that keeping the JNG editor for as long as possible seems the best option, as maps saved using the old editor are still playable on the latest version of WC3. My Rise of Realm map was made entirely in the old JNG editor.
    Though the only anoying thing I've noticed is that if you try and change a players color to neutral hostile - Black in the old editor, they will appear red colored ingame when playing on the latest version on WC3.
  5. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

So the max map size is 480 x480 and can be now used just with vanilla editor, right?
    I got updated w3 today and i noticed some things that idk if im wrong or what. Max tiles looks to be 16, i tought with new patch it was 24, im wrong? :D

also, when i open the editor i get this:

upload_2018-5-12_19-1-16.png

Something i should worry about?

And what about that doodad limit u talk @Marshmalo ? I used to use sharpcraft, but if w3 editor is stable and unbuged i think it was better than sarpcraft due to new patches compatibility. But if w3 editor has a low doddad limit... Im fucked. Even with that "low" limit (bigger than prepatch one) u can do a map like LTF without problem? (Max size) or u need to use sharpcraft if u do a big map to dont get crashed due to doddads limits?

Thanks buddies :-)
  6. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

The doodads limit was increased in the latest patch, but its still nto big enough for some maps, so thats why I recomend using Sharpcraft as there is no doodad limi at all on that and ist been updated to the latest patch, menaing you can make use of the added stuff like 24 players.

Yes max map size is 480 x480 and can be used with vanilla. I never heard anyone say you can get 24 tiles? Its still 16 as far as I know sorry.

But I am no expert on Sharpcraft, literally all I did was open LTF, made afew changes and managed to save it :-)

SvnmS is right that if possible you are much better off using JNG for as long as possible, just make sure you dont use any of the added functions so your map can still be opened in the new editors.
  7. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Thanks marsh.

So... I can use vanilla with no problem and if i get doodad limit just open it on sharpcraft and save it there, right? No bugs in sharpcraft any longer? Nice.

I guess when i readed the 12->24 players my mind also thought the tiles limit was increased (specially since i was fighting cause i wanted more tile room at that time :D).

I never used JNG, I used Sharpcraft. So if vanilla works and have all functionalities... Lets go with vanilla. If i need more doddads... Sharpcraft. JNG is new to me, and learn without needing it is not in my code :p
    • Like Like x 1