1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

War for Britain (map project)

Discussion in 'Custom Projects' started by Elbadruhel, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

I have been working in the design of this map for some weaks. I have exp working with other games, and i have been maping w3 for years just for fun, but after playing lots of LTF/LTA games i had the idea to create a map to be shared with the people so everyone could play it too. All the work i had done previously in W3 editor was based in new races and IA behaviour to mostly do solo games, so im really new with triggering in w3. This mod is based in HISTORY but some dates will be moved some years to improve balance and gameplay. The idea is to create a team game with a bit of economy, micro and macro. Where u will have to fight for resources and protect ur home while u fight to achieve different objectives that could help u to obtain ur final goal: conquer all britain!

The map

The map will include the british islands, western part of scandinavia and north of Europe till the Oder river. And of course, it will be set in the invasions to Britain, from the saxons to the norses.

Resources

There are 3 different resources in the map: food, materials and gold.
    - Food (vanilla gold) is earned by creeping, farming or fishing. Farms can only be built in fertile land and some units can raze the land to denny it. Fish can be found in fishing grounds around the sea and u will need to protect ur fishers from enemy fleets.
    - Materials (vanilla wood) are gathered from the land, it can be by mining ores or choping wood. You will use them to build buildings or boats (very important in this map). Some areas of the map will have more resources than others, what will make u fight for richest zones.
    - Gold (vanilla population) is obtianed by taxes of castles. There will be lots of castles across the map and some will be more important than others (like capitals). There are also special holdings that were known to be important trade centers, like York, Hedeby or Dublin and this cities will give u more gold than usual. There are also some "Holy sites" among the land (like Glastonbury, Lindisfarne, Anglesey, Paderborn, ...) wich will allow u to build there a holy building: Sacred Grove, Ancient Runestone or Cathedral, wich will give u some gold and special features.

Special Features
    - Dinamic trading system. Some areas will have more materials than others, and some factions will have easier acces to food than others. So every one of them will be able to trade, buying and selling resources. To dont allow a faction to mass chop and get tons of food, this trading is alive, so every time a guy buy food, it gives less food, and every time a guy sells food, it gives more. This way u cant have an economy based just in chopping (unless other guy wants to sell tons of food in exchange).
    - Holy Sites. Across the map will be some Holy Sites as said, there u can build a temple, wich gives u aurea of armour and healing to help to defend that point (uses to be important shockpoint), but will also give other intersting bonus according to ur religion:
    • Celtic Sacred Groves allow u to travel across the roots of the sacred groves, from one to another, allowing u great movement, ambushes, sneaky attacks... (could change).
    • Cristhian Cathedrals allow u to recruit bishops. 1 cathedral-1 bishop. Bishops are STRONG casters with ress, silence and mind control. That will allow u to reinforce ur armies with ur enemies, heal ur dead ones and denny enemy skills.
    • Viking Runestones can be consecrated to a Norse God to give ur elites one special skill, making them stronger while the runestone is holded. What means that if u raid ur enemy lands, burn their cathedrals and rise a runestone in honour to ur gods there, u will become stronger. So lets loot and plunder!

Teams
    The game is for 12 players and starts as a 2 vs 3 vs 2 vs 2 vs 3 fight. But with time it can change fulfilling some objectives becoming maybe a christian/frankish (6) vs vikings/pagans (6) open war. The teams are:

- Gaels.
    The gales have been trying to conquer Britain for centuries, they fought the Britons till the romans came and conquered the land, rising mighty castles and fortress and creating a great province protected by 2 walls in the north. But Rome had problems and had to leave the province without legions. Now the brittish-romans have to defend themselves and their last King Vortigern asked some saxons to fight for him as mercenaries to see them rebel agaisnt him. Britain is in an open war with no armies, its ur time to attack and finally achieve ur goal!

- British-Romans.
    This factions were the former inhabitants of all Britain who merged with the romans when they created the Province long time ago. But with the legions out, Vortigern, a pagan lord, rised as King, but he ended being the worst king Britain could have ever had allowing saxons to enter the isle. Now his own people call him traitor and he is hided in the mountains while the last britons gathers under the few Brittish-Roman governors alive. Meanwhile, the ones who emigrated to armorica, cant help their cousins since they have to face the expansion of the franks.

- Angle-saxons.
    The angles, saxons and jutes came from germany and jutland to Britain when the Roman legions left it. They quickly conquered a lot of the land, pushing the britons to the west coast and rising small kingdoms. Nowadays, they hold the richest lands in Britain and have good bases, but this petty kingdoms are completly surrounded by enemies with lots of coasts to be attacked. Thats why the leaders of Angles and Saxons are trying to unify this saxons kingdoms to get a strong position to hold it from Britons, Vikings or whoever wants to expell them from their new lands, and who knows, maybe some day, create a unified Angloland in all Britian.

- Frankish.
    After the romans left Britain, they holded France. But the Empire had tons of betrayals and civil wars, what left it vulnerable to invaders and rebels. Siagrio, a roman general, stablished a roman Kingdom in the gaul, and the area looked safe. But the foederati kingdom of the franks is powerful and looks for new lands, what have made them to attack this rebel roman kingdom to empower their own. But frankish are suffering the attacks of the barbarians of the east too, so while they push the romans in the west, they will need to rip the saxons and alamans in the east and protect their northren shores from norses invaders. Maybe with time and hard work, this small kigdom could create a great Empire, even able to cross the channel and invade Britain...

- Vikings.
    The Norse, nordmen or vikings, live in Scandinavia, a hard land, that has made them to sail all across the northren sea to raid and loot in richer lands. But some of that nordmen, dont want just to loot, but to settle down in more fertile lands and live in peace. This makes the vikings sail and attack the coasts of britain once and again to form new settlements there, raid their enemies and force them to bend the knee to join their heathen pagan army wich will conquer once for all those fertile lands for their people. A people with nothing behind, will push forward till win the war, their enemies will have no hope.

Factions

(Viking) Norses - Kingdom of Norway

Harald Fairhair has claimed to be the unique ruler of all Norway but its a bit arrogant since he holds just the east of the land. At the start of the game he will have to push hard agaisnt the rest o the norse kingdoms to expell all of them as soon as posible out of his land once for all. Once he has fulfilled this task, he will be able to sail to west, to the islands of Scotland, where he could create some good bases for his raids and sails in that land. From where attack the gaels to make Scots and Irish bend the knee to him and use their armies to conquer all Britain.

(Viking) Jutes - Kingdom of Jylland
    The jutes of the Jutland peninsula are eager to conquer new lands. A small part of them went to Britian with saxons and jutes years ago, but they get nearly no land compared to their souther neighbours. The good point of this is that the previous lands of the anlges south of Jutland are now empty, ready to u to invade them, taking even the great city of Hedeby. Once u are strong enough, u should sail to conquer East Anglia from the Anlges to form a new kingdom there and expand trought southeast Britain while u protect ur main land from the frankish invaders once they defeat the saxon remnants in the south.

(Viking) Danes - Kingdom of Lejre
    The danes of Lejre (Zealand) controls the big isle and the lands of Skania in the east (southren Swedeen). They will help their brothers of Jylland to conquer Britain and to fulfill that task they should travel to the south and create the great stronghold of Jomsborg, where the mighty Jomsvikings will be trained to attack the saxons, frankish and whoever dares to opose the danes. Going to the west, they will try to take York to create a new kingdom there to fight in the center of Britain meanwhile their brothers do it in East Anglia.

(Frankish) West Frankia - Kingdom of Frankia
    Franks...

(Frankish) East Frankia - Teutonic Kingdom
    More Franks...

(Brittish-Romans) Britons - Pendragon
    Ambrosio Aureliano is the last roman governor of Britain. Vortigern killed his older Brother Constante to become the King of Britons but when he asked the saxons to come to britain as mercenaries against the gaels, upon arrival they betrayed him and starting to conquer the land. So the britons called him a traitor and asked the help of Ambrosio, he defeated the Saxons in the mount badon, and now all the remnant britons follow him, so its his time for revenge. Voritgern is hided in the mountains of Powys, and Ambrosio young brother, Uther, is ready to command his troops to defeat him once for all. But a group of saxons in the east is unifying the rest of the petty kingdoms now that they are weak due to the battle in Mount Badon, so Ambrosio fears they will strike again and stronger. He needs to kill Vortigern, create a great city to gather the armies and work coordinated with the romans of the walls to fight agaisnt gaels, saxons and whatever may come...

(Brittish-Romans) Cymry - Yr Hen Ogledd
    Coel Hen is the last Dux Britaniarum in the north of the roman province of Britain. After the departure of the Roman Legions, Britain became a chaos. Tons of small petty briton kingdoms appeared, then Vortigern joint some of them, the gales started to attack the coasts and to stop them, Vortigern called the saxons as mercenaries, wich rioted and started to create their own kingdom in the southeast. But this chaos never found the north. In the Hadrians Wall, Coel Hen commands the brittish-roman armies of Bernicia. And his comrade Urien Reghed comands the ones in the fortress of Carlisle and will support him. Coel Hen has a great job to do: defend the Wall from the gaels, unify the briton Kingdoms of Deira, and Elmet south of the wall. Try to take the Kingdoms of Gododdin and Alt Clut north of the wall to secure the Antonine Wall agaisnt the gaels. Push south to help Ambrosio and defend it from Angles and viking raiders.

(Brittish-Romans) Armoricans - Kingdom of Brittany
    When...

(Gaels) Scots - Kingdom of Alba
    Scots...

(Gaels) Irish - Kingdom of Ireland
    Ireland is a green land...

(Saxons) Angles - Kingdom of Mercia
    Angles...

(Saxons) Saxons - Kingdom of Wessex
    Saxons...
    • Like Like x 10
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

The combat system will be simple but tactical. With easy to see counters to each unit: "easy to learn, hard to master".

To summarize it, units can be infantry and cavalry, and could use light or heavy armour. A unit can have normal damage vs his enemy, or have bonus vs infantry/cavalry and/or ligh/heavy.

This way, knowing ur enemy units, or even looking at it in the map ("how does this units look? Has a horse?") u will know how it is protected, and wich of ur units is better agaisnt it.

Some factions will excell in light units, like Celts and others in cavalry like franks. But all of them will have at least 1 option to fight every kind of defence.

In addition to this, i think i will add the "Material" defence, to buildings and boats and the "Fire" damage wich does more dmg to "Material".

I think i dont need to add "Magic" damage since it will do more dmg to Heavy armoured units so its the same as anti amour one, but i may add it just due to "flavour" and better looking.
  3. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

If u have any doubt about the map or how it will work, u can ask me. If u have any suggestion i will read them all. If u want to help me, u are welcome, we can talk about it.

I hope u like the idea and hope even more to be able to end this if people likes it, so we could play it some day and u may enjoy it.

Greetings!
  4. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

This CA copying my ideas....

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Im thinking in swap the map start age 300 years in the past. From 860 to 560, in arthuric age. So i can add more magic and other stuff. Factions will stay nearly the same, and some of them will have paths to become the later realms. Like Saxons becoming Wessex, Angles in Mercia, Lothian in Northumbria, etc etc

The main change would be pictland replaced by the gaelic Dal Riata, but the event is the same, dal riata conquers Pictland and forms Alba.

What do u think?
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  6. Onyx

Onyx GrimmHeart Darksbane

Even before reading I liked
    Looking forward into your map
    If you need help or anything I'm there buddy
  7. Woodenplank

Woodenplank Brigand Map Maker

I think you're bad at maths.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Im bad writting :D. 860*
  9. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Early work of Cournouailles, capital of the Armoricans:
    upload_2017-11-15_18-54-47.png
  10. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Here the map. If u see something weird with it, like some spots too narrow or to wide, tell it to me and i will check it when terraining that area.

upload_2017-11-16_19-31-44.png