1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

War for Britain (map project)

Discussion in 'Custom Projects' started by Elbadruhel, Nov 7, 2017.

1. Szons

Szons

Avalon is HUGEEE, not to big?
  2. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Define "huge". It occupies the same área as any other normal city, dorset for example is just south of avalon and Its nearly exactly the same área and even shape :D

If u mean the swamp around It, in roman-viking times all that area was flooded, later It was drained as other parts of england, but in the time of the map is Still a swamp. Like the área of anglia or around York.

Maybe u are mistaken With tintagel, the great castle in the West, in the north part of cornwall. Its briton starting capital and should be his second strong hold against irish and saxons. If he loses it, he Will lose whole south for sure. And uther has to go there to have Arthur as son, so... Good reason to be strong. But It is weak by the sea...
  3. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

I have been busy recently, but soon i Will have time again to map a bit.
    I have been working a bit in casters of the factions when i have had time these weeks, and already have some spells done and the idea for every religión.
    - Gaelic.
    They have spells to control the enemy (cc) to create situations were their weaker army can defeat a greater enemy With strategy. They need to fight together, sinergize and strike their enemy when they are unawared.
    + As they have weak units they can solve this using their spirit callers to línk the life of all the units, and the druids to plant Mushrooms that will slowly heal all the allies.
    + Druids can use also toxic Mushrooms to dmg the enemies in an área slowly, and seers can use slow powder in them to make them Harder to run away.
    + Priestess can call moonshines to dmg the enemy and blind them, making them fail their attacks. While the spirit caller can send mágic owls to have visión of the kingdom and know when the enemy Will come.
    + Spirit callers can also call for faeries, this small beings will support ur army, but can be dispelled and sent back to their mágic realm. Seers in the other hand, can summon strong winds of nature to lock some enemy units to decrease the power of the enemy.
    + etc etc.

As u can see: things to weaken the enemy and improve strategy while trying to make some squishy units lats longer.

Also, some skills from the heros have relation With the ones of the casters. For example, scots will have a druid hero, who will be able to create a great healing Mushroom (Wich will cast tranquility) and summon an army of faerie beings.

- Cristhians.
    They dont trust in mágic, so will be the ones With less casters. To compensate It, they will be good ones, and some cristhian factions will be also semi-pagan, still praying to their old gods, like saxons or britons. But once they become full cristhian for geting more allies, they would lose the other religión casters (saxon or britons going allied With french will lose all gaelic/germánic Casters).

Catholic casters have two clear roles: support their Men in combat and banish heathens from the kingdom. So to fit It, they have skills like:
    + Heal, dispell, a skill that absorbs dmg from the enemy, anti mágic shield, prayer to increase ur units health or armor, etc
    + Bishops are the greatest priests of Christians, they need to rise a cathedral to create one bishop. They are strong and leader of Men, even their enemies respect them, so they have: mind control, ress (1 unit) and silence.

As u can see, Christians are the defensive factions. They try to denny their enemies strategies and mágic, so their stronger cavalry and late game infantry could rule the combat fields.

- Germánic (viking)
    The vikings pray lots of gods and lots of them are powerful. All of their gods have something to do With war and attack, their god of wisdom Odin wears a great spear and his son, the god of Farmers Thor id a great warrior With a mighty Hammer. This can give u the idea of how their casters work: war!

+ The runecaster can create different runes in germánic language to encourage nerby troops, or dmg the enemy.
    + Ur shamans can also awake the blood lust in ur soldiers to increase their as, or cloud their wisdom to turn them into killing machines that wont bother for their own health.
    + Hela will bring her powers to them to maim their enemies to make them easier to Hunt and kill, or... Even worse.
    + Vikings can rise Sacred Runestones in the holy sites (were cristhians do cathedrals), and pray to a god in that runestone. This runestones will give bonus to ur units (global), and every god will have its own bonus so u will need to sinergize them to have the better outcoming. The more lands u raze, the more cathedrals or Sacred grove u burn, the stronguer ur Horde will be.

Vikings are the attacking factions, all their units are tought to do dmg, make the enemy easier to kill, or increase the pure strenght of ur units. They become stronger attacking and conquering, while cristhians do defending and increasing economy and gaels do With strategy and weak spots. If u want to win as viking u will have to use ur casters to break the enemy shields and make ur axes cut trough arms, chests and hearths.

Pd: any comment or feedback would be welcome. Not al factions have all the religión casters so they will need to cooperate to have the Best strategy. Also, some factions have casters from different religions (saxons, britons, cymry, armoricans, ...).
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

I have been busy recently, but soon i Will have time again to map a bit.
    I have been working a bit in casters of the factions when i have had time these weeks, and already have some spells done and the idea for every religión.
    - Gaelic.
    They have spells to control the enemy (cc) to create situations were their weaker army can defeat a greater enemy With strategy. They need to fight together, sinergize and strike their enemy when they are unawared.
    + As they have weak units they can solve this using their spirit callers to línk the life of all the units, and the druids to plant Mushrooms that will slowly heal all the allies.
    + Druids can use also toxic Mushrooms to dmg the enemies in an área slowly, and seers can use slow powder in them to make them Harder to run away.
    + Priestess can call moonshines to dmg the enemy and blind them, making them fail their attacks. While the spirit caller can send mágic owls to have visión of the kingdom and know when the enemy Will come.
    + Spirit callers can also call for faeries, this small beings will support ur army, but can be dispelled and sent back to their mágic realm. Seers in the other hand, can summon strong winds of nature to lock some enemy units to decrease the power of the enemy.
    + etc etc.

As u can see: things to weaken the enemy and improve strategy while trying to make some squishy units lats longer.

Also, some skills from the heros have relation With the ones of the casters. For example, scots will have a druid hero, who will be able to create a great healing Mushroom (Wich will cast tranquility) and summon an army of faerie beings.

- Cristhians.
    They dont trust in mágic, so will be the ones With less casters. To compensate It, they will be good ones, and some cristhian factions will be also semi-pagan, still praying to their old gods, like saxons or britons. But once they become full cristhian for geting more allies, they would lose the other religión casters (saxon or britons going allied With french will lose all gaelic/germánic Casters).

Catholic casters have two clear roles: support their Men in combat and banish heathens from the kingdom. So to fit It, they have skills like:
    + Heal, dispell, a skill that absorbs dmg from the enemy, anti mágic shield, prayer to increase ur units health or armor, etc
    + Bishops are the greatest priests of Christians, they need to rise a cathedral to create one bishop. They are strong and leader of Men, even their enemies respect them, so they have: mind control, ress (1 unit) and silence.

As u can see, Christians are the defensive factions. They try to denny their enemies strategies and mágic, so their stronger cavalry and late game infantry could rule the combat fields.

- Germánic (viking)
    The vikings pray lots of gods and lots of them are powerful. All of their gods have something to do With war and attack, their god of wisdom Odin wears a great spear and his son, the god of Farmers Thor id a great warrior With a mighty Hammer. This can give u the idea of how their casters work: war!

+ The runecaster can create different runes in germánic language to encourage nerby troops, or dmg the enemy.
    + Ur shamans can also awake the blood lust in ur soldiers to increase their as, or cloud their wisdom to turn them into killing machines that wont bother for their own health.
    + Hela will bring her powers to them to maim their enemies to make them easier to Hunt and kill, or... Even worse.
    + Vikings can rise Sacred Runestones in the holy sites (were cristhians do cathedrals), and pray to a god in that runestone. This runestones will give bonus to ur units (global), and every god will have its own bonus so u will need to sinergize them to have the better outcoming. The more lands u raze, the more cathedrals or Sacred grove u burn, the stronguer ur Horde will be.

Vikings are the attacking factions, all their units are tought to do dmg, make the enemy easier to kill, or increase the pure strenght of ur units. They become stronger attacking and conquering, while cristhians do defending and increasing economy and gaels do With strategy and weak spots. If u want to win as viking u will have to use ur casters to break the enemy shields and make ur axes cut trough arms, chests and hearths.

Pd: any comment or feedback would be welcome. Not al factions have all the religión casters so they will need to cooperate to have the Best strategy. Also, some factions have casters from different religions (saxons, britons, cymry, armoricans, ...).
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

I like u like It. Any feedback or New suggestions about skills would be apreciated.

I have been working in some cool skills and factions rosters. And asking one doubt With some... Advisors? Friends? Alpha commenters? :D. I found there is no total agreement about this point, so i ask here to u.

Im considering to add vikings the option to rise undead vikings using Hela mágic (godess of death). I have cool custom models for these undeads, will give another special gameplay to vikings, fits the "dmg ur own units to kill more enemies" strategy that vikings already have and in a "what if It was true" lore (as this maps is, with mágic and some legendary, pseudo históric history as camelot, Arthur or merlín are) fits the idea of cristhians of "being fighting demons" when they faced vikings.

So give me ur opinion: cool undead vikings With own models in or "what weed do u smoke that shit would unbalance the map and doesnt fit at all".

Thsnks :D
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

I have been working a bit in the factions rosters Since the map is going pretty well and Its 75% done.

As much of u should already know, the map will have a new combat system developed by me (im able to code It thanks to a tool that wooden sent me, all pray wooden :D) Wich goal is to make the battles easy to learn and Hard to máster.

Units will have mele or ranged dmg, and both will do 100% dmg to all units, so the dmg u see is the dmg u do, no hard dmg lists to learn. The only difference between ranged and melé atacks is coding, for example, for allow shield walls that can Block arrows.

But! Units could have different bonuses: vs infantry, vs cavalry or vs armor. So a unit With 10 dmg but bonus vs heavy, will do its 10 dmg to all units, and an extra %dmg to units With heavy armour. This means there are lots of counters and strategies ingame, but them are really easy to see, and u can check quickly Wich unit is better vs a certain enemy.

Units can be light infantry, heavy infantry, light cavalry and heavy cavalry. Apart from casters and their special stuff. Now, for example, talking about germánic rosters: saxon and angles. We will have:

Saxon Army.
    Warrior. HI. Shielded.
    Rider. Hc. Shielded. Its a mounted warrior.
    Spearmen. Hi. Bonus vs cavalry. Shielded.
    Leader. Hi. Bonus vs infantry.
    Archer. Hi. Ranged attack.
    Battle mage. Caster.
    Shaman. Caster.

When u create the kingdom of wessex u get:
    Saxon noble. Hi.
    Saxon knight. HC. Bonus vs cavalry. Mounted noble.

When he joins the cristhian team:
    You lose the germánic shaman.
    You get cristhian priest.
    You get crossbowman. Hi. Bonus vs armour.

I think its a balanced army, most of his units are heavy, what means they are stronger than usual, but also means that his enemy could focus in units With bonus vs armor.

On the contrary, u have options to face nearly every King of enemy, u only lack a bit of bonus vs armor at start, u will need ur mages and shamans to do that job, till u join the cristhians and u get the crossbowman.

The archer might get some special skill to allow u to fight With armor in Early if u do a research.

Angle army.
    Shieldmaiden. HI. Shielded.
    Horsewoman. Hc. Shielded. Its a mounted shieldmaiden.
    Pikemen. Hi. Bonus vs cavalry.
    Leader. Hi. Bonus vs infantry.
    Archer. Hi. Ranged attack.
    Battle mage. Caster.
    Shaman. Caster

When you form the kingdom of mercia.
    Mercian Pikes. Hi. Bonus vs cavalry and armor.

If u surrender to the viking invasors and u become the Danelaw:
    U lose Mercian Pikes.
    U get 2 Danelaw units.

As u can see the main spirit of germanic team remains in the Angle roster: heavy units With flexibility to face different kind of enemies. But here there is a difference: angles have more problems facing arrows than saxons, Wich would mean a problem vs gaelic enemies.

To solve this, they have an improved versión of the warrior and Rider, the shieldmaidens. And while saxons must rely in mágic to face armored enemies till going cristhian, the angles have its strong Mercian Pikes to fight that problem.

If u finally surrender to vikings u will lose Mercian Pikes Since u no longer are mercia, but u will get allies and two New units in exchange.

Have in mind all of this is wip and could change, for example im Still studying if giving more bonuses to saxon knights or of change Mercia bonus unit. Both of them have inspire aura to encourage nerby allies.

Both factions will have an élite unit, as all other factions ingame. Apart from this básic roster.

Pd: any idea or suggestion would be welcomed. I could send u pics when im at home this afternoon if u want them.

Pd2: except élites, all mounted units will be a foot unit mounted in a horse. U need to breed the horse to allow u to have cavalry. In most cases a mounted unit is the same that its infantry counterpart, but With more hp and faster, and his armor is changed from Li to lc and from hi to HC. So u May be more bulky and have more movility, but maybe ur enemy will do more dmg to u.

Pd3: british román factions: cymry, armorican and briton, have the only caster ingame that can go on horse, a sarmatian wizzard (sarmats were a nomadic tribe from eastern europe that served in the román empire as foederati and lots of them were sent to britain as auxiliary before Its fall, indeed there are lots of theories about that the Arthuric legends are based in this sarmat knights so i wanted to give them some flavour at the same time that i created some different gameplay).
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

As some of u already know, my laptop was broken and i had no backup in external memory (curiously that morning i tought to back up it and i said: "later")

I have just bought a new laptop. And i will have to buy an external carcass and disassemble my old laptop to check if the hdd still works and i can recover my map.

If it works i had already ended irish cities so i would start with france.

If it doesnt work, and i have lost all the job done, the project would be 99% canceled.
  8. Onyx

Onyx GrimmHeart Darksbane

I WANT MORE SCREENSHOTS
    GIMME DAT VIKING RACE CMONBRUH
  9. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

If i rescue the map u will have the screenshots :D

Btw i was working in ship system to make it important and funny:
    - Ships have crew.
    - Crew is used for different actions like: send them to sack inland (spawns few light troops), row to sail faster (like a sprint) or board other ships.
    - Crew can be hired in allied ports by free with time.

I can play with this to make different factions have unique boats and make the naval fight awesome.

For example, vikings could have better looters in their ships, so they would be able to harrass the coasts easily. The frankish on the contrary will have slow big boats.

This means the frankish will never be able to catch vikings in open sea. But!! If the frankish slow big boats find the boats without crew in the coast while the men are sacking, they will delete them.

Bigger ships will be slowlier but will have more crew. Gaelic ships will be fast and quick, more to transport, while vikings are for raids and frankish for defence.

Also, factions more sea related (like vikings) will hire crew faster than land related ones (like frankish). Giving different strong points to each faction.
    • Like Like x 1