1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warcraft 3 patch 1.29 PTR

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Arlt, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

Well practical things could be done, like limiting army size to just 100, but yeah they really need to focus on increasing stability issues before adding this increased player limit IMO.
    • This This x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

The biggest thing in the patch is not actually the player slots. Its the new native functions. Things like

*/
    function GetUnitIconPath takes unit u returns string //Returns the command card icon path of a unit.
    function GetUnitTypeIconPath takes integer unitId returns string //Returns the command card icon path of a unit type.
    function SetUnitIconPath takes unit u, string path returns nothing //Changes the command card icon path of a unit.
    function SetUnitModelPath takes unit u, string path returns nothing //Changes the model path of a unit.

function SetUnitName takes unit u, string name returns nothing //Changes the unit type name of a unit to the specified string.
    function UnitChangeUnitId takes unit u, integer unitid returns nothing //Changes the unit type ID of a unit. Results are the same as unit a morph ability except without needing an ability.
    then things like reseting cooldowns, triggering units into a CCd state, modifying attackspeeds and other stats in a detailed way, in built tools for easy special effect modification.

Marsh has previously proven that, even just using simple functions available in WE she can come up with unique gameplay utilizations. These new functions open up ridiciolus new possibilities for easy-use mapping with very detailed changes, especially on a grand-strat map
  3. Woodenplank

Woodenplank Brigand Map Maker

@Marshmalo makes a lot of good points.
    Particularly about the 24player limit - I do NOT think this is a good idea for all maps. Like when the file size limit was expanded; everyone went crazy with extra models, skins, etc. But huge filesizes do not equal good maps, and neither do huge player numbers!

LTF, KTA, and (to a lesser extent) LTA already take a while to fill. Imagine having to wait twice as long o_O
    And LTF already becomes unstable if a single person has a disconnect... Imagine the chances of succesfully getting 24 players to load and start LTF without a drop - those chances are fucking small :/

Blade Master
    • Mirror Image: (Buff) Mana Cost (all levels) 125 to 115

But in all seriousness; the new natives are awesome.
    Simply changing a model's path could fix A LOT of mishmashshite in LTF
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  4. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

function GetEventDamageAttackType takes nothing returns attacktype //In response to a damage event returns the attacktype (Spell, Hero, Chaos, etc) of the damage.
    function GetEventDamageDamageType takes nothing returns damagetype //In response to a damage event returns the damagetype (unkown, magic, normal, enhanced, etc) of the damage.
    function GetEventDamageAbilityId takes nothing returns integer //In response to a damage event returns the ability ID that caused the damage. This ability can be a damage spell (Flame Strike, Storm Bolt, etc) or an attack modifier ability (Cold Arrow, orb of fire, etc). Normal attack damage returns some safe default value such as 0.
    function GetEventDamageUnmodified takes nothing returns real //In response to a damage event returns the damage dealt to the unit before any modifications (armor, attacktype reduction, etc) were applied.
    function GetEventDamageMana takes nothing returns real //In response to a damage event returns the mana lost due to an active mana shield.

Easy spell modding too.
  5. wolfie3

wolfie3

Such wow!
  6. Woodenplank

No no, this is a patch for Warcraft III.
    /derp
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

@Woodenplank this one is like the dmg engine u sent me using triggers, right? No longer needed maybe ^^
  8. Woodenplank

Indeed.
    Although I see no references to Damage Types, yet. If that doesn't get implemented then Bribe's system is *slightly* superior.

But nevertheless; for the large part this will be a great change, and all the new natives make several user-made-patches/system obsolete. So the regular World Editor will actually be good enough for a lot of projects.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  9. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

The first one does it, dont it?

GetEventDamageAttackType
    • This This x 1
  10. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

I agree actually, I still recommend waiting a few months still before trying anything. I have a feeling they are gonna be updating WC3 more frequently now. A remaster of Warcraft 3 might not be as far as we thought it would be.

Making a map with more than 12-15 players will be game breaking. Even 12 should not have been applied to a macro map. Hell, WC3 engine was never designed for a macro map anyway, the fact that games like Azeroth Wars, LTA etc are surviving is a miracle by itself. Azeroth Wars right now after all these years of work and optimization gets destroyed once you actually start getting an Army and start making units. The Unit lag you can get on Teal in AW makes my 500 ping look normal.

Tbh A Warcraft 3 Remaster would get a lot of people back to WC3 imo specially the custom maps section. A reason a lot of people left WC3 or are discouraged to play it was not WC3 becoming boring or graphics being old or other games being better. It's bugs, crashes, Trash servers, Trasher matchmaking, Old engine and really old platform which even the Chinese were like we need a new platform. The fact that game is surviving despite all this is amazing. I am pretty confident if a Remaster addresses this issues while also giving some proper tools to custom map section and map makers. WC3 Custom map community will be booming once again tho I can not say the same for the original melee.

Nalesean are you sure it's the engine and not the servers? I know engine usually crashes specially in LTA, LTF and sometimes Azeroth Wars due to memory crashes. However I swear 80% of the times it's MMH and connection issues to the server. Specially as the game goes longer MMH loves to start dropping. At least for me it is always server as I rarely ever see WC3 crash for me but then again I got a pretty good computer. If there is only one thing I want from a remaster is the ability to reconnect to a game you DCed From, the dream...