1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will Warcraft 3 Remaster Include?

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Spectator, May 11, 2018.

1. Spectator

Spectator Adapt or Die Donator

Well I don't think Blizzard will ever do a Warcraft 4 for a ton of reasons. But they might do a Warcraft 3 remaster tho a slight chance.

My question is if they do a Warcraft 3 Remaster, what will it include? I'm not sure how it works, anyone here who is familiar with Starcraft and it's remaster mind please explaining what were the differences and could be the same for Warcraft 3? Here some other questions I also have, you can do just yes or no and if you want provide long answer why.

1- Will it bring a better engine? an Engine that doesn't crash so easily and can handle bigger custom maps without crash or unit lag?
    2- Will it bring a better online platform? One where finding matches is easier and has the better social interactions. Also will it allow for custom maps hosting or does has to be done through third party again?
    3- Will it bring HD models and how much improvement will be placed into graphics?
    4 - Will it change mechanics of melee? Will it add new units or mechanics?
    5- Will it make changes to the campaign's story line?
    6- Will it update the Warcraft 3 editor or improve it?
    7 - Will it care about the Custom map maker community or just destroy their maps and chances to grow?
    8 - Will it have lootboxes and pay2win? (remember this game was made before Activision was part of Vivendi Games, I'm fine with cosmetics tho)

9 - How likely is a remaster 1-10 and Which year will it happen?
  2. Lunelune

Lunelune Known double post Inquisitor, and Heretic caller. Brigand

1. A better engine? For Blizzard to make a new engine for this, it would be probably be more profitable for them to make Warcraft 4 as well.
    2. This is most likely due to the amount of people actively playing the game and likely won't provide an offical custom map hosting service.
    3. This is basically what every remaster does. New animations, ingame cintematics being reworked (not the cintematics like Grom killing Mannoroth due to that cintematic already being quite polished), models etc.
    4. Nope since then the remaster would become a full scale remake.
    5. Lol, a Warcraft 4 would be easier by then since this would remake the entire game (Therefore it wouldn't be a remaster, but more like a remake)
    6. Update it? Possibly.
    7. Knowing Blizzard. They might or might not destroy it, but not intentionally.
    8. Do you see those elements in Starcraft 2? Also the entire thing with Activision Blizzard never really affected Blizzard it self (Sure, you can mention the ingame store in WoW. But those are PURELY cosmetic).
    9. Most likely at least a 2022 release date since it would be their 20 year anniversary by then and that's what they did with Starcraft.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TheKaldorei

TheKaldorei High Priestess of Elune Shaman Map Maker

Not going to happen due to Blizzard updating WCIII.
  4. Zerwikaptur

Zerwikaptur Brigand Donator

Lol no, StarCraft remaster didn't do anything spectacular, just optimised it for new systems and polished the graphics (tho they did pretty neat work here, they didn't change the style or anything), without any actual changes to gameplay
  5. SUNSTRIDER

SUNSTRIDER

Whatever, but if I can't play the maps I like on it (LTA, LTF, KTA, ROTV...) then it has no reason to exist! :p
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Spectator

Well in that case a remaster sounds like rather a shitty idea! I think a Remake would sound like a much better idea.

There is nothing innovating or interesting in Warcraft 3 Melee so the multiplayer aspect will be pointless and dies easily. Good graphics or engine will have 0 effect on quality of Melee since the game-play can't really take advantage of those.

Idk, I think it still would be quite profitable for Blizzard to focus on modders, allow them to have a platform and maybe can make some sorta contract with them to monetize the popular ones? Kinda like Twitch but for modders instead of streamers. But then again it might be kinda too late. Imagine if they had managed to have something like that for Dota and Tower defense maps. Those games would still be theirs and profit would be rolling. They won't even have to innovate, just Fix the editor and add options and let the community do the hard part.

On the other hand I think the Campaign still has value. Remaking the Campaign would be nice since it has a solid story line and they can get update the battles, graphics and add some more voice lines but cut some useless parts and maybe add some parts too since It can't interfere with WoW timeline. I think a lot of people playing WoW would enjoy the Campaign, it's just hard to get them to play a 2003 game graphics but with update they can give it a try. It can make them appreciate WoW more but it can backfire since it can make them realize how Shitty WoW story telling and lore is...
  7. Marshmalo

Marshmalo Brigand Map Maker

Interesting but other games have tried to monitize custom made content and it hasnt gone so well, Bethesda tried to do that with Skyrim and there was a huge backlash against the company. They tried it again and now you can buy a mudcrab pet for $5 dollars or something :D

If they did ever decide to let map makers get money for their content they need to fix the stability and bug issues. I would be embarresed to charge people for LTA/LTF with so much crashes and instability. Balance is one thing, but when people have paid for content they quite rightly have certain expectations, yet there are still very common bugs within WC3 which they still havnt patched yet.
  8. Spectator

Mind explaining a bit more or sending a link? Not sure which one you are talking about.
    I remember they did something where they Made the mods P2P. A terrible decision indeed. It cuts the player-base while also not good for long term. Makes sense why it was criticized. If they are planning on monetizing mods, it should be through subscription or donations. Then if mod becomes more successful the modder can add Skins and cosmetics to the game. P2W or P2P are old models that won't work anymore in competitive Multiplayer. I won't be surprised if we see those models rarely in future.

Paid mods can be quite profitable for a game like Warcraft 3 which is perfect for modding. However there will be 2 main problems:

1- The rates: How much should go the modder and how much to Blizzard? Blizzard still owns the asset so a huge portion will be problem go to Blizzard however in the end Market will adjust that perfectly. If Blizzard is asking too much, modders just give up. Just some level of transparency needs to kept with the rates.

2- Dilution of player-base: Promoting mods can affect the main game negatively (Warcraft melee). However since melee was never big thing in WC3 and it's players are more loyal and inelastic and has withstood all the mods. It shouldn't be issue. Such thing would be an issue for example with a game like League of legends or Battlefront 2. Another is obviously you can't be promoting all the mods as you can only promote a few since it dilutes the player base and makes none of the games fun. Therefore there will be some bias with Blizzard and it's promotion system.

Overall will monetizing mods work for WC3 if you update/remake it? Yes! Will it be risky? Extremely. And big companies are the biggest pussies with risk. Specially when it comes to innovating and trying something that has not be done before.

Well that's true. However Blizzard tbh is not getting any profit from Warcraft 3 and that has been the case for a long time. I'ts the biggest problem of P2P Model and it's demise. It makes even the greatest of games die since it Won't incentives the developer to care about the future of a game. Only reason I think there are even giving us this small amount of update is not financial reason. Pretty sure WC3 is just an expense each year and they could use their Staff on something more important. No one is gonna go "Oh My god, Warcraft 3 Got an update. Now I gotta buy this game since this is what i was waiting for." The reason they are even bothering with updates is not financially. It's mainly to keep up the reputation that won't don't abandon our games so It incentives people to buy their future games.

Fixed that for you
  9. ponasozis

ponasozis SOVIET Angry marine Brigand

Starcraft 2 arcade has paid maps now

So if you think blizzard won t put lootboxes and paid maps and paid models and paid account creation and paid bots and paid clan membersip and paid custom map search bar
    YOU ARE VERY WRONG
    THEY WILL MAKE IT SO YOU PAY FOR EVERY SECOND ON THEIR MISBEGOTEN GARBAGE REMAKE WHICH ONLY GOOD ADDITION WILL BE TO SELWCT MORE THEN 12 UNITS
    CAUSE FUCK YOU CUSTOMER
    AND YOUR ASS
    MADE FROM SOLID BRASS

If you haven t noticed i hate blizzzard activision bullshitrazmus cancerazmus sh8t fest

Also you are wrong if you don t think wc3 is not profitable for them
    Do you have any idea how much shiny $$$$$$$$ chinese bring to blizzard because of wc3
    Not to mention all those poor souls who keep losing their cd keys every year because they are too lazy to add them to bnet
    Running potato wc3 servers cost them prolly something like 100 bucks a month per realm
    Thats nothing money
    Thats a garbage amount of money
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spectator

You are gonna love EA :D