1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would making the map from base be better?

Discussion in 'Lordaeron: The Foremath' started by GinoFastidio, May 13, 2018.

1. GinoFastidio

GinoFastidio The Elf_blademaster's Hunter and sworn enemy

Ratings:
    +79 / 1 / -1
    I got 0 knowledge of map making, i'm just wondering,i read about editors complaining about the unstable map, so i wonder, IF we had a team of 10 enslaved map makers forced to work on it in a basement,would the map making technically be smoother? like, starting from scratch and copying what already exists with better triggers or whatever

Edit: Kidding,i'd not enslave them,i'd rather let them believe they are free when they really are not. Its perspective
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. Harald

Harald Loremaster Shaman Map Maker

Ratings:
    +2,142 / 18 / -51
    Making a map from scratch would be better in theory, you would not have all the unstable issues and problems the map already would have.
    • Like Like x 1
    • This This x 1
  3. Mesis

Mesis Brigand

Ratings:
    +1,952 / 61 / -137
    Sounds like we have the first volunteer
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. GinoFastidio

Ratings:
    +79 / 1 / -1
    Go harald!
  5. Talinn

Talinn Map Maker

Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -0
    Just look at Hanni's map for your answer. It's at 7k MB but it loads faster than AWLR which is at 3.3MB~

I thought there was no way it was that large until Hanni showed me a screenshot.
    • This This x 2
  6. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Ratings:
    +416 / 26 / -20
    I was going to answer the same till i read "enslaved map makers forced to work on it in a basement". Someone is too eager to have a stable map, isnt it? :D
  7. reddragon25

reddragon25

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Having a team of 10 great editors meeting on a weekly basis to work together on a map from scratch up sounds far better
    than "sealed in a basement". Just a suggestion.
  8. GinoFastidio

Ratings:
    +79 / 1 / -1
    You guys are really taking the humour out of that part :(

I was just wondering why would those editors keep blasting their balls off on an unstable map rather than starting from scratch, yea that would be a huge work but i guess if we put together all the time they spent on editing the actual map they probably would be at a good point by now. Then again its just pure logic and i have no clue about map editing,

This whole post came up after seeing more and more editors resign,give up, leave and just admit that map is intensive and stressing
  9. Talinn

Talinn Map Maker

Ratings:
    +165 / 1 / -0
    Part of the problem is that when you edit maps, a little bit of your soul goes into editing. And so recreating all that data can be very taxing, especially terrain because you're not gonna get the same vibe / mojo as when you terrained the first time. Of course you can copy using two computers but I doubt many editors have access to two computers (I'm thinking this would be the most efficient way to transfer data or "redo" a map). Screenshots of everything might be good too but eh, I'd think something more dynamic like 2 computers might be best even if one file was pretty derpy.
    • This This x 1
  10. reddragon25

reddragon25

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I'm not trying to be humorous, teaming up is a good idea but I think it is better to do a weekly meeting and edit maps there, than working on it constantly, it gets boring fast, until a feature to enable more people to work on the same file at the same time there is no way to really team up on such levels that are needed, it is really discouraging to players and map creators/editors when an editor/creator leaves but until the problem with the editor program is fixed the crisis can not be averted.(I liked the additions to LTF that @Wooden has done, same with LTA and reading that editors are resigning, I don't know what to say.)