1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would making the map from base be better?

Discussion in 'Lordaeron: The Foremath' started by GinoFastidio, May 13, 2018.

1. TheKaldorei

TheKaldorei High Priestess of Elune Shaman Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 89 / -214
    • Savage Savage x 1
    Last edited: May 14, 2018
  2. Elbadruhel

Elbadruhel

Ratings:
    +462 / 26 / -21
    two guys cant edit the same file at the same time. The only way to cooperate is: one makes terrain, other ones create triggers and then are copied to the main map, others research models and textures, others study stats and makes math to get the most balanced ones, other create custom skills and then are imported to the main map, etc

But some things need the main map to be tested or work, like triggers using variables. So... :/
  3. spinel

spinel Map Maker

Ratings:
    +1,536 / 8 / -10
    Actualy i dont think it would work. Every mapmaker has his/her own perspective. Way back when i was working on Ghostlands i was in constant disagreement with Forsaken about small things here and there. Map would look very inconsistent if you would combine Forsakens was of making big structures from many separated doodads, Marshmalows shining sceneries and my simple arangment. And that is just the design part... imagine one editor making simple spells for one faction and the other making trigger based bright shining spells for another... It could work when you would have experts only for certain things like one godlike trigger guy for triggers, one godlike ability guy for spells and lets say one godlike guy (not a guy since Marshy is a woman) for terrain. That could work.
  4. Charcu

Charcu

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Although I have not checked for LTF since it's a huge map, I have fully exported maps before to remake them and yes, it is possible and not as complicated as some may think.

First is the terrain. Control + A selects all the terrain in a map, then Control + C to copy it, load our new map and press control + V and left click. Now we have the terrain from the previous one. Cliff level is quite important when creating a new map since it can mess everything up. Now, upgrades > spells > units > Doodads can easily be copied (as long as the data has been copied previously from object editor) although I recommend doing it in small groups (like copy new Dalaran for example but not all northreand in one go). Many things especially Doodads will probably have to be manually modified to fit perfectly well since they might missbehave when copying/moving them.
    The triggers would be the last and have to be mostly done from scratch mainly to optimize them and add the variables. Although many can be copied also.

Now with all that said, this process is a real pain to do. This is not like a patch nor a hotfix and many maps would be awesome if they were remade yet the process to do so is so tedious their makers don't dare and I perfectly understand.
  5. CazDawg

CazDawg Lazy Australian Map Maker

Ratings:
    +673 / 52 / -82
    Well that's because Hannibal's a god though. :p

Recreating or making a map from scratch has it's benefits, but many problems occur with different perspectives and such.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Hannibal

Hannibal Map Maker

Ratings:
    +483 / 1 / -0
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • This This x 1
  7. Tehfebeb

Tehfebeb ProphetHeWhoMustNotBeNamed

Ratings:
    +201 / 6 / -19
  8. EmperorFawful

EmperorFawful Gatsby Guardian Website Admin

Ratings:
    +3,086 / 30 / -105
    upload_2018-5-15_13-1-50.png
    Currently on this job.
    Probably might ask for some help in order to get more progress into the map, but this one will be a 1.29 map.
    Not teasing all too much because you guys know how easily I announce things without delivering an end result, but it will be fun, if I manage to finish this.
    • This This x 1