1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wurstscript and avoiding Object Data Bloat

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by somefaggot, Feb 13, 2018.

1. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

Dont spend much time on WC3, but I remember people still claiming no solution to the World Editor Object Editor Lag. Well, Ive found a systematic solution: Wurstscript

https://wurstlang.org/

Essentially, its a set of Visual Studio tools that allow your to work on WC3 maps. The way it works is, if you have good knowledge of using Jass, you should be able to use Wurstscript, and code in trigger and object data into Wurstscript, without navigating the slow World Editor. Then, it compiles all of the data entered into the Visual Studio and compiles it with the map, allowing everything, with the exception of terraining and placing doodads to be done without using the World Editor. It might be a bit difficult to learn and use if you dont know basics of coding, but I assure you it saves a lot of time in the long run.
  2. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

I have to go to sleep now ! but I'll check this out tomorrow ! Thanks, sounds like a helpful tool.
  3. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

One thing I forgot to mention is that it also allows for easier work between multiple people. You can keep it online and change things without having to pass files, and even potentially put it on github and make it open source (without posting the terrain file, to stop people from taking the map and hacking it more than they already do. It would happen, but is an interesting proposition nonetheless)
  4. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

Aaaand heres how to do it:

Step 1: Download and install wurstscript by the sites description, and start a project
    Step 2: Place the unprotected map file into the projects folder
    Step 3: Build the map using wurst script
    Step 4: In the _build / objecteditingoutput folder you'll find text files of all the object data. It can now be modified more easily without using the world editor.

@Draupne @Marshmalo
  5. somefaggot

somefaggot Map Maker

Note to self: Also replace def with _def, move file to the wurst folder, and change the format from .txt to .wurst, and thats about it in terms of steps. Should be very easy to do now. @SvnmS have you had any luck with it?
  6. SvnmS

SvnmS Brigand Map Maker

I actually haven't tried it yet.

EDIT : that disagree rating was a mistake, I saw your message on phone, now I'm at the PC and saw the rating, wasn't intentional !

EDIT2 : when I tried to install it 2 days ago, it couldn't successfuly download some files no matter what, so I gave up :/